Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impressive SLI Benchmark

Check this out, a 105% increase!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Can you imagine dual dual-core Athlon FX CPUs with SLI video cards? buuahahaha... oh to have $10k to drop on a gaming system next year
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Wanna try and beat me to one Jamm? *ahem*

J1NG

Comment

It seems like SLI 6600GTs is kinda useless, when you can get a 6800GT that will outperform it for less than the price of 2 6600GTs.
        But daaaamn those are some nice numbers for that 6800GT!
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Well, that benchmark doesn't tell the whole picture. The entire review is at Anandtech with many more benches.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen|
            It seems like SLI 6600GTs is kinda useless, when you can get a 6800GT that will outperform it for less than the price of 2 6600GTs.
            But daaaamn those are some nice numbers for that 6800GT!
            Then, when you rob the *second* bank, you can get another 6800GT, and REALLY stomp the puny dual 6600

- Steve

Comment

Maybe if you wait for 6-12 months, you'll get a single card for 500-600 $, that will outperform those dual 6800GT's...

Comment

alteranative point of view (also voiced in the article).

Say you like to have the latest/greatest gaming rig. (let's not debate whether this is a worthwhile persuit, but take it as a given, and realized that there are people out there for whom this is a real priority).

You spend 500 dollars on the latest greatest gaming card. 6 months after purchase, there is a new card out with similar features but new clocks. You are no longer "state-of-the-art". No problem you say,

1 year after you purchase, a whole new product cycle begins, and new cards with more power come out. Concurrently, a new game arrives which require the lates cards to play at the high resolutions.

Now, do you chuck your old card and buy a new 500 dollar card? or do you buy an second card to match your 1 year old for 150-200 dollars, and run them in SLI at similar performance?

I think this is the real value. Being able to extend your video card purchase to 2 years instead of 9 months to a year.

CEM
                System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

But surely how long before someone puts two chips on one card and routes 8 lanes to each?
                  MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Originally posted by moreau
                    alteranative point of view (also voiced in the article).

Say you like to have the latest/greatest gaming rig. (let's not debate whether this is a worthwhile persuit, but take it as a given, and realized that there are people out there for whom this is a real priority).

You spend 500 dollars on the latest greatest gaming card. 6 months after purchase, there is a new card out with similar features but new clocks. You are no longer "state-of-the-art". No problem you say,

1 year after you purchase, a whole new product cycle begins, and new cards with more power come out. Concurrently, a new game arrives which require the lates cards to play at the high resolutions.

Now, do you chuck your old card and buy a new 500 dollar card? or do you buy an second card to match your 1 year old for 150-200 dollars, and run them in SLI at similar performance?

I think this is the real value. Being able to extend your video card purchase to 2 years instead of 9 months to a year.

CEM
                    And to add to this, you are on a budget and purchase the 6600 GT. In a few months, you have enough to buy a 2nd 6600GT.

Comment

I think a simple way of putting it is this; If you have LOTS of money, go for it, if not, then don't.
                      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
                      X