Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth to See Total Eclipse of the Moon tonight

Oct 27, 10:27 AM (ET)
    AP) For more than an hour Wednesday night, the moon will be covered entirely by Earth's shadow and ...
    Full Image
    CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) - Earthlings are about to be treated to a total lunar eclipse, just in time for Halloween. For more than an hour Wednesday night, the moon will be covered entirely by Earth's shadow and resemble a glowing pumpkin.

With the Earth passing directly between the sun and the moon, the only light hitting the full moon will be from the home planet's sunrises and sunsets, thus the orange and red hue.

It will be a late-night show for people in North and South America and a pre-dawn display early Thursday for those in Europe and western Africa.

Aside from their entertainment value, total lunar eclipses give scientists a chance to assess the quality of Earth's atmosphere. Ash from volcanic eruptions, for example, can make an eclipsed moon look much darker. The recent eruptions of Mount St. Helens in Washington have consisted of far more steam than ash, and therefore the moon should appear bright and coppery red on Wednesday night, NASA said.

The next total eclipse of the moon will not be until March 2007.
    www.lizziemorrison.com

It is very cool.

Comment

It would have been really cool looking here too I'm sure, if it wasn't 100% overcast with thunderstorms.

Comment

Looked pretty good in my 9x63s

It was partly cloudy here, but got some clearings so I could see.

Comment

yea i was so excited and its 100% overcast here
          www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Comment

I got some snaps of it from my place, maybe later on I'll post some of em...
              Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
              MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
              Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
              Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

yes i think you should!
                www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Just found out I missed the height of totality.. went out and saw it being red.. for some reason I thought it was over, but it had only just started.

Comment

Working...
                  X