living computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• living computer

A University of Florida scientist has grown a living “brain” that can fly a simulated plane, giving scientists a novel way to observe how brain cells function as a network.

The “brain” -- a collection of 25,000 living neurons, or nerve cells, taken from a rat’s brain and cultured inside a glass dish -- gives scientists a unique real-time window into the brain at the cellular level.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

just in time for Halloween...

brains
    brains
    BRAINS!!!!
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

yeh... soon we will all have a top rat chit embeded in our brains...
      "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

My mind is racing with the implications.
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I just happened to see the researcher in question being interviewed on the discovery channel. I kind of caught it towards the end of the interview but they re-capped the main points afterward.

According to the recap they use established AI techniques to teach the cells what the appropriate responses are to various input conditions and then monitor their ability to learn and reproduce the desired result on their own.

Interestingly, the cells do remember how to make the plane fly level again, but for only about 15 minutes. Then they forget.
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Working...
          X