English language pronunciation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English language pronunciation question

I've recently re-started studying, and my IT teacher pronounces the C keyword char (character) like Cher. It's ticking me off!

I'd pronounce it car, like the automobile, but maybe he's right? Or maybe there's some other, better or more creative way of saying it? Please enlighten me, lest I strangle the guy!

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

C is pronounced 'sea'
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Perhaps this will help?

Learn the Sounds of each of the letters of the English alphabet: vowels, consonants, diphthongs. combined letters such as SH, TH, CH, with example words for each sound.
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

or have i not understood your question?

Comment

char is an unnatural construction, an abbreviation for character that some computer person long ago decided to actually enunciate. If you must utter this thing, say it like it's spelled, hard "ch" as in "chain" followed by "ar" as in "tar."

edit: too many edits while sleepy wreaks havoc on grammar
          Last edited by KvHagedorn; 24 October 2004, 10:41.

Comment

Personally, I would say that, in spoken language, it should always be pronounced in full, as character. It is very rare, in English, to make an acronym of a single word, as opposed to an abbreviation, which should not be pronounced. The exceptions are usually technical jargon for polysyllabic words, such as trike for trichloroethylene, but there are some pronounced colloquial abbreviations such as bike for bicycle. An interesting one is "Control-Alt-Del" for the three-fingered salute.

The word 'char' does exist, with four or five different meanings, all of them pronounced with the ch sound as in church. This is obviously inappropriate, because both the ch and the vowel sounds are different. To try and pronounce it like the first syllable of 'character' with the combination of the short a and the r is difficult in received English, as the two letters have a tendency to contradict each other. It would tend to sound like Geordie (dialect of NE England). However, it is even ridiculous, because the r belongs to the second syllable: ka-rak-ter and you can't normally have a vowel-less syllable.

Conclusion: I maintain that it should not be abbreviated in spoken language, not even colloquially.
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Leo links to another service where some words are available as wav
              Lernen Sie die Übersetzung für 'char' in LEOs ­Englisch ⇔ Deutsch­ Wörterbuch. Mit Flexionstabellen der verschiedenen Fälle und Zeiten ✓ Aussprache und relevante Diskussionen ✓ Kostenloser Vokabeltrainer ✓
              cu/2 magog - Germany - flying with OS/2 Warp speed...in a vehicle named eComStation (eCS)
              ---
              Author of the Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de
              JMDB v1.35 FINAL is available (2007-09-20)
              Homepage: http://www.juergen-ulbts.de/

Comment

Thank you, Paddy, I think you misunderstood me

Thank you, KvH;

Thank you, Brian, for your elaboration - but he must say it, because if he said character instead, there would inevitably be some dumbheads who would try to write character in their C code.

Thank you, magog, I use the LEO dict extensively, but merriam-websters only has pronounciations for character or char, where char has completely different meanings.

I'm still open for suggestions

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I've always heard it pronounced as you would pronounce 'care' when referring to the C language decleration.
                  Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I'd pronounce it "tea"
                    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Doh! misread the question! I'm with Brian anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                        I'd pronounce it "tea"
                        Only if it's made by a charlady And I suppose it if was a cold drink, it would be a charade?

Seriously, I have a suggestion. There is a partially obsolete term, 'charact', pronounced karakt. This is perfectly good English and it is defined as a magical sign or emblem, in its modern sense, or an engraved or impressed character in its original sense. I see no objection to its use as a spoken word representing char in the high-level language definer sense. However, having said this, I'm aware that nobody will change their habits.
                        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                          C is pronounced 'sea'
                          ROFLMAO! (I thought you were kidding until I read further)
                          Last edited by schmosef; 24 October 2004, 10:41.
                          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                            char is an unnatural construction, an abbreviation for character that someone computer person long ago decided to actually enunciate. If you must utter this thing, say it like it's spelled, hard "ch" as in "chain" followed by "ar" as in "tar."
                            Yep

This is not so much a question for linguists as it is for understanding the general convention. I've never heard it spoken any other way than how KvH described.
                            P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I normally pronounced "char" as "care" since it's short for character (which is pronounced as a hard "k" sound). I have used the soft "ch" sound at times as well, as have many of my fellow engineers.

It's always interesting to hear how engineers pronounce "GUID". Everyone has a little different spin on pronouncing "GUID", even at Microsoft. It's kind of like watching Stargate and hearing everyone say "G'aould" differently.
                              Last edited by xortam; 24 October 2004, 11:07.
                              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                              X