Doubts over passport face scans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubts over passport face scans

Serious doubts are being raised about a new secure identity system being incorporated into new UK passports from the end of 2005.

Biometric facial recognition will be brought in as part of an international agreement to target terror and fraud.

But trials suggest the technology has a 10% failure rate, the BBC has learned.

Some experts say the technology could be unsuitable for the high volume of travellers it will deal with, and may fail to improve airport security.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Just remember folks you can't smile. Big brother says so.
    Dell Inspiron 8200
    Pentium4m 1.6
    640mb pc2100
    64mb gf440go
    15" uxga ultrasharp
    40gb 5400rpm hdd 16mb cache

Comment

What happens if you grow/shave moustache/beard?
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Cosmetic surgery?
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Here in germany the first thing will be the fingerprint stuff, but the rest will follow.
          The CCC (the famous Chaos Computer Club) added a nice howto to fake the fingerprint which shows how easy it is to get around this type of biometric check.

So this one is pretty useless...and the only reason that the EU countries can now push the biometric stuff is still the 911 (and the US want's it if you want to get into the US) - the reason for all.

Here the link (sorry german only - maybe babelfish will translate is somewhat correct - http://babelfish.altavista.com):
          cu/2 magog - Germany - flying with OS/2 Warp speed...in a vehicle named eComStation (eCS)
          ---
          Author of the Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de
          JMDB v1.35 FINAL is available (2007-09-20)
          Homepage: http://www.juergen-ulbts.de/

Comment

Seems like these guys are on the case too.

Tuesday, 14 June, 2005: Libya plans to roll out national ID cards based on chip and biometric technology, Card Technology has learned. The North African state has issued at least two requests for tenders for the project. Although details are sketchy, one source, who has seen the tender, says the cards would be “sophisticated.” The chips will store one or more biometric identifiers along with other data on citizens and residents. The cards will help the government, which is a military dictatorship led by Col. Qadhafi, keep better track of its 5.8 million people, says a source. Another West African state, Morocco, is also considering a biometrics-based smart card ID, the source says, although it hasn’t asked for tenders. [CardTech]

Comment

Biometrics is not ready for prime time yet. DNA test is.

Comment

Rapid DNA testing? How fast is it now - only a couple hours, right? Pfffffff.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

What about the eyes? I seem to remember they are quite usefull for quick, rather failutr free biometrics...

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                    What about the eyes? I seem to remember they are quite usefull for quick, rather failutr free biometrics...

What about contacts?
                    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

retina

Comment

combined with IQ

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                          Rapid DNA testing? How fast is it now - only a couple hours, right? Pfffffff.
                          In the future a few seconds using DNA chip technologies. They'll first be used in forensics, but eventually.....

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

You can allready make instant (as in less than seconds) dna markings interpretation, using a mixture of organo/sillicon chips.

Currently still on trial basis, I can attest that they work every time. And they ARE fast.

Big problem tho - its a royal pain in the ass to clear them between tests.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Blood sample needed?

Comment

Working...
                              X