Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you buy an AMD based DELL machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you buy an AMD based DELL machine?

I would.
    As long as i knew that the integrated graphics was rock solid.

Re: Would you buy an AMD based DELL machine?

Originally posted by Fluff
    I would.
    I wouldn't buy any kind of Dell PC

As long as i knew that the integrated graphics was rock solid.
    Isn't that a contradiction in terms
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Re: Re: Would you buy an AMD based DELL machine?

Originally posted by Taz
      I wouldn't buy any kind of Dell PC
      I'd get a Dell laptop. Wish I had the cash to jump in on the $750 off deal Dell makes great business machines, and good consumer PCs. For the geek and the gamer, they should be avoided. Unless you really want to shell out for an XPS ... which the geek or the gamer never should.
      Isn't that a contradiction in terms
      Yes ... yes it is. The ATi and nVidia IGP's are okay at best. All the others suck.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I meant rock solid with general office based windows usage. Never had a problem with intel integrated.

Comment

For myself no (I prefer DIY), for office - it works and has same support as Intel Dells.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Would you buy an AMD based DELL machine?

Originally posted by Jammrock
            Dell makes great business machines, and good consumer PCs.
            I guess support is a damn site better in the US. Just trying to get a replacement fan for one here turned into a major nightmare

I meant rock solid with general office based windows usage
            Any video card will be fine running Office apps.
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

For an office machine, it's hard to beat a Dell OptiPlex. Very quiet, reliable, and adequately fast. Don't bother trying to play a 3D game on one, but you wouldn't be doing that at work anyway, would you?
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I'd consider getting an AMD Dell laptop, but I prefer to build my own desktops.

Comment

I wouldn't consider an AMD laptop since Centrino is out.

But for a desktop I wouldn't mind at all.
                  System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

No. Already got some heavy AMD hitters at home. Don't need more systems.

J1NG

Comment

Reasons for Dell over other makes.

Nicer cases (design, layout, servicability), quieter than most other manufacturers.

Remote management / remote health monitoring. Which is what i see is missing from AMD systems (desktops) at the moment. If i'm wrong let me know.

Comment

All this is heresay anyway since Dell has never, and in the near future, will never use AMD products.

As for Centrino ... all Centrino means is the laptop has a Pentium-M and an Intel wireless mini-PCI card. Nothing else. The AMD Athlon 64 Mobiles are faster than Pentium-M's, they just use a bit more juice. Which if you travel a lot makes a big difference. Otherwise, it makes none.

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                          All this is heresay anyway since Dell has never, and in the near future, will never use AMD products.
                          True, but in the long term I don't think they'll have much choice

all Centrino means is the laptop has a Pentium-M and an Intel wireless mini-PCI card.
                          And the i855 chipset

It's all very well marketing something but it's usually a good idea to explain what it is, Intel kinda missed that with Centrino

Comment

Much choice? Intel gives Dell an *unbelievable* deal for being their largest customer, and exclusively Intel.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                              Much choice? Intel gives Dell an *unbelievable* deal for being their largest customer, and exclusively Intel.
                              Yes I know all that but at the end of the day Dell, like all companies, have to look after their customers. If the large corporates, who currently buy 1000's of Dell's, say they want AMD based PC's then I can't see Dell saying no, go buy HP's

Comment

Working...
                              X