Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Canopus DVStorm...better than RT2000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Canopus DVStorm...better than RT2000?

Hey

Just red some reviews about the Canopus DVstorm...looks interesting but I was wondering how it compared to RT2000 if anyone knows.

Particularly I noticed that the DVstorm lacks an hardware MPEG module (for an extra $600)...does this mean it cannot make MPEG2 videos (I believe the RT2000 does have mpeg2). I am confused because on teh info webpage on the DVstorm it shows that you can output MPEG2.

How can you output to MPEG2 if Canopus wants you spend $600 clams for a MPEG hardware module. How can these seemingly contradictory statements co-exist?

thoughts anybody

http://www.canopuscorp.com/products/storm.php3

DVStorm 'eh?

It requires a huge system to get all of its few effects in realtime.

700 mhz dualies or a P4/1.4ghz, extra addon cards to be a full tilt version and it still takes 9 to 11 seconds to do a simple dissolve? On a "realtime" card?

Puhlease.....

http://www.canopuscorp.com/products/stormcpu.php3

Not only that but the number of frames you can apply an effect to is directly related to how much installed memory you have. For a 512 meg machine this is only about 180 frames. Thre is no frame limit on the RT-2000. You can apply video filters etc. to an entire clip.

The DVStorm has about 33 or so built in effects. On the RT2000 there are over 1600 plus 60 of those built into Premiere and more coming.

By the way: the comparison list on the Canopus page is hopelessly out of date and misleading not only as regards the RT2000 but also the DV500.

ex: they list the RT2000 as not being 16:9 capable. As of the 3.0 preview release it is. Also I'm doing realtime titles easily. I don't know what their problem was in getting them to work

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thank you for your speedy and informative reply, as per usual Doctor.

Comment

Working...
      X