Coming to California in December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming to California in December

Well after a manic year at work, I told my boss that I am going to take the whole of December as leave. And I got away with it

Anyway, the now the question is what to do... I could easily use up a month doing stuff to the flat (painting etc) but to be quite honest would rather get away. So I reckon instead that a trip to California might be in order... I have a cousin doing an MBA at Stanford at the moment, so there's one visit, and a former close colleague of mine is now CFO of our US Solar business based in Camarillo, so there's another point of reference.

I've not been to California before, so would appreciate some advice - what to do, what to see etc. Also I think hiring a car and driving it all is the way to go - presumably I can just rock up to a motel wherever I end up each night?

No reason to restrict myself to California either - internal flights/longer drives not a problem (althouh I don't have a great "feeling" for the distances involved across the pond...). Where else should I consider given I'll have about 3 weeks (I want to spend Christmas back in Yorkshire)?

Also, should any MURCers fancy a beer I could probably control my random walk enough to buy you one

George
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Obviously, a lot will depend on your interests. I like the hinterland behind the coastal strip, although the Sierra Nevada may have snow. I love the Mojave Desert and Death Valley is a must: the dates should be just right there in December! You'll also get the early citrus fruit then! Along the coastal strip, San Diego is the best large city IMHO.

If you're into art, the Norton Simon Museum of Art in Pasadena is a must-see http://www.nortonsimon.org/home_flash.asp

There are other national parks. The General Sherman tree is worth the visit, but the drive can be hairy in bad weather.

I've always avoided Anaheim and its "amusements" like the plague, but this is personal.

A 3 - 4 day detour to Arizona/Utah via the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Monument Valley ending up at Moab for the Arches National Park, and the one on the other side of the village whose name escapes me for the moment, is worth the visit for the most spectacular scenery.

Of course, this my European view, maybe our American friends will think otherwise.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Well, if you don't wanna see snow, then don't come to Canada.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

learn austrian language, in case you meet Arnie
        "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Hehe - thanks Rakido and Zokes....

Brian - I suspect that my own preferences for things to see overlap rather a lot with yours - so thanks v. much for the suggestions. Sounds like there will be plenty to see.

Comment

You can take a quick visit to the Las Vegas/Lake Mead/Valley of fire/Hoover Dam area - basically at the California/Nevada/Arizona border.
            There's lots to see and do in Vegas WITHOUT doing any gambling
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

watch for spiders
              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzard[MPE]
                watch for spiders
                I'll wear my spider-proof latex suit.

Oh, wait, that might attract something else creepy...

Comment

Sweet, let's hook up for some lunch and drinks! Assuming yo come to the Bay Area. Maybe the local gang can get together again.
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

That would be sweet Dave. What exactly constitutes the Bay Area btw?

Comment

I live on the right hand side of the map, near the middle, where it say Livermore.

I am about 45 minutes from San Francisco(East of Livermore). About the same to San Jose(South of Livermore).

Give you a better idea?
                      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Ah I see now... so that's pretty close to Stanford Uni (Palo Alto) then. Must be about a 40min drive to your neck of the woods?

Comment

Yep, that's about right

So when you get exact dates and you know what you are doing, we can figure it out when and where to meet Anyway, no pressure, so whatever happens, happens.

Dave

Comment

Good stuff. Will let you know.

Comment

Flying out on <strike>Wednesday</strike> I mean Thursday

2 days left at work THIS YEAR!
                              Last edited by GNEP; 27 November 2004, 08:52.

Comment

Working...
                              X