Mechanical Pencil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanical Pencil

Anyone know of a mechanical pencil that is short and has a retractable head? I'm looking for a pencil for backpacking, and I'd like to keep it with my journal which is small. I also don't want the tip poking at stuff either, but if that is asking too much than just being fairly short would be okay.

The only retractable one I know of is the Grip500.

Thanks,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Cant you just go to Ikea and steal a handful of their pencils?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I just use a short golf pencil for backpacking.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Some rotring models have a retractable tip...

In the more expensive range, Lamy might offer some interesting models in the Lamy TriPen range. These are pens with multiple possibilities (i.e. ballpoint, pencil and stylus; or ballpoint, pencil and marker; ...). The pencil is fully retracted in every model.

(the site doesn't work well with Opera)

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

www.lamy.de works in Opera.

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

generally, I just carry a couple cheap Bic disposable pens for hiking/field time instead of expensive/good quality ones. I used to use good ones but they always got lost/stolen/damaged pretty quickly. disposable ones are cheap and easily replaced....
            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Comment

The beauty of Bic pens is that they also give you access to bikes and vending machines in an emergency

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I had a Staedtler retractable .5mm pen for about 5 years, loved it.

Comment

az - exactly

capt. marvel - the various space pens are nice, they work great in the field and when hiking. the biggest problem with them is they are just too damn expensive. shopping online i can get like 200+ bic pens for the cost of one of those. who gives a damn if it won't write at altitude or upside down, with 200+ i can tear a few apart and make a quill with no worries
                    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I've been using the little pencils, but when the tip breaks it kinda sucks.
                      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by TnT
                        I've been using the little pencils, but when the tip breaks it kinda sucks.
                        Don't you always carry a knife backpacking? You can't beat the light weight (I worry about every gram) and its always dependable.
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
                          Don't you always carry a knife backpacking? You can't beat the light weight (I worry about every gram) and its always dependable.
                          True, but I never really found scraping pencils exciting

I'll just look around to see what is out there. If anything I'll carry extras.

Thanks for the info though.

Comment

Working...
                          X