ExelStor drives - any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ExelStor drives - any good?

I might be able to get a good deal on some Exelstor hard drives. They're new, but I think they're fairly old/low capacity models (somewhere between 20 and 40GB). I want to put two of them in a home server and make a RAID-1 mirror with them - they'll be running 24/7.

Does anyone know if Exelstor have any reliability issues, either now or in the past? I don't want these to turn out to be another set of DeathStars.
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

I've used a couple (40GB models) in systems where cost was paramount...no problems so far, but I think they were a little noisy by current standards.
    FT.

Comment

aren't they just relabeled Hitachi/IBM drives? (or more specifically, refurbished ones?)

Comment

Turns out dZeus is right - they're made by the same manufacturer as IBM/Hitachi drives. They're not refurbished, they just come out the same plant.

In any case, I'll be avoiding these.
        Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

I thought Excelstor was started by former Conner employees?
          When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
            I thought Excelstor was started by former Conner employees?
            Yup but I thought they'd gone to wall again.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Re: ExelStor drives - any good?

Originally posted by Ribbit
              ...Does anyone know if Exelstor have any reliability issues, either now or in the past?...
              Excelstor proved them to be reliable HDDs for the past 2 years. I never heard anyone had any trouble with them.
              Excelstore is manufactured by Hitachi and it is IBM technology, but since that was the first HDD factory that IBM sold, name must be neither IBM nor Hitachi. It is proven and reliable technology.
              <font size="1" color="green">Holly: "Appreciate what vou've got, because basically, I'm fantastic!"</font>

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
                aren't they just relabeled Hitachi/IBM drives? ...
                Yes
                Originally posted by dZeus
                ... (or more specifically, refurbished ones?)
                No
                <font size="1" color="green">Holly: "Appreciate what vou've got, because basically, I'm fantastic!"</font>

Comment

just a bit noisy... (same screamin noise of IBM/Hitachi drives when the heads were recalibrated sometimes)
                  Work-Box:P4C3.0GHz; DFI LAN Party875Pro, GeiL Golden Dragon 512MB PC3500 DDRAM, ==>>PARHELIA 128+ZALMAN HEATPIPE MOD<<==, 2 x WD360 Raptor 36Gig RAID 0, MAXTOR 6Y080L0 80Gig, Plextor PX-W4824A, Toshiba SD-M1612, 2x BenQ FP767 17"TFT

MEDIA-BOX:P4C3,2GHz; ASUS P4P800 Deluxe, GeiL Golden Dragon 512MB PC4000 DDRAM, Radeon9800XT, 2xHitachi HDS722512-VLSA80; RAID0, Plextor PX-116A, PX-708A, Plextor Premium/T3B

Comment

Working...
                  X