Sennheiser HD-595

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sennheiser HD-595

I'll write up more later (probably late Monday or some time on Tuesday, as I have my MS Win2k Server test tomorrow ), but I just wanted to give my impressions of the Sennheiser HD-595s now that they are completely broken in ... or at least I'm pretty sure they are.

The best way to describe the sound is silky smooth. It still has the trademark Sennheiser crisp detail, but the presentation is just ... smooth. It's like a hybrid tube amp/solid state sound. Warm, yet detailed. The music flows together in fantastic harmony. I think you get the point.

The break-in period was hell, though. I would recommed pluging them into something and let them run non-stop with a wide variety of music for a few days before using them seriously.

Deep, low, resposive bass. Silky smooth, detailed mids. Fantastic, non-harsh highs.

And they are only 120 Ohms! Meaning they will still sound great without a headphone amp.

Okay, it's late. More later. Will answer questions if anyone has some.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

what is your source, cables etc?

Comment

Various.

I mainly listen to it on my Echo Indigo PCMCIA sound card off my laptop. Player in a WinAMp 5.05 w/ Shibatch mpg123 and ASIO output. At home it's an Audigy 1 with Winamp 5.05 and Shibatch mpg123.

I've also run it off my big rig. Rotel RCD-1070 to a Denon AVR-3802 via Audioquest Diamondback cables. That's the best sound of them all. Someday I hope to have a headphone amp and bypass the Denon.

Stock Sennheiser cable for the headphones. They don't make replacement cables for the HD-595 afaik.

Comment

*poke*

Comment

Sorry ... school started up again, and I'm behind on my MCSE test. Uh ...

The HD-595's are quite awesome. My only gripe with them thus far is that the headband is narrower than the HD-570's, which for normal sized hunam be'nings means nothing, but for big headed Jammrock it's hard at times to find the comfortable listening position. The earpads hug the ears more, which is one of the things which helps give the 'forward' sound.

The design is very good too. Real, good quality, leather for the headband. Velor earpads. Strong pastic for the rest. It even comes with a headphone stand. You can lock it on a desk or some type of edge and hang the headphones on it. It too has a leather padded strap where the headband rests on it. The design is quite sleek. I like it a lot.

You can actually see the angled drivers. Reproduction seems quite accurate, and all frequencies seem to be in harmony. Everything I've throw at them, from techno to rock to classical, all sounds fantastic.

THe cable is heavier duty that previous cans. Only the HD-650 has a thicker, heavier grade stock cable.

Um ... that's the most of it. If anyone has any specific questions I'll answer them.

Jammrock

Comment

Thx for that
            Some pics would be nice!

Maybe I should write up a mini-review for my Alessandro MS-1s too?

Comment

Here are some pics I took.

This is a full product spread. HD-595's resting on the headphone stand/hook/thing, box in background:

Here's a stand-alone shot of the headphone rest:

A nice side shot of the headphones while resting on my backpack (only place I could get a sharp pic with my lighting/equipment):

I tried to get a good pic of the angled driver, but my digital camera is old and couldn't get the right close-up in indoor lighting ... so this is the best I could manage:

You can see the driver, and some cloth covered plastic (sticks out on the top inside part). Anyway, if you could see the actual cans it's easy to pick out the angled driver. The insides are slanted rather than parallel with the earpads, and even within the pastic casing the driver is angled further.

Jammrock

Comment

Working...
              X