Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSPro6 Video Editor 'hangs' when rendering!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSPro6 Video Editor 'hangs' when rendering!!

Having completed many edits over the past two years with MSPro 5.0, 5.2 & currently 6.0, I am a little dismayed to find the system hangs a few minutes into a render. I have recently upgraded to a faster system (see below) and have been as careful as possible to reset all the parameters from my previous, slower,system. Tweaking the ulead32.ini file, all the preview options etc. But to no avail. Am willing to try anything to prevent the 'hanging'.

Scrubbing the timeline - no problem! Rendering small preview sections of an edit over a transition or title - no problem! But when it comes to 'create' the entire MJPEG AVI to file - the whole screen just freezes after a short while. The only option then is to do a reset (warm boot).

I would be grateful for any suggestions to cure this problem from the experts within this forum. Many thanks.

Merv Wilson.

CPU: AMD 900Mhz SocketA Athlon.
    Asus A7V SocketA (no RAID) M/Board.
    ATX 250W power/supply.
    Matrox Marvel G200 AGP VidCap/Graphics card 16Mb SDRAM.
    256Mb of system SDRAM PC133.
    16.8Gb ATA33 System/Boot Hard disk IBM Deskstar.
    30.7Gb ATA100 Video Hard disk IBM Deskstar.
    17in iiyama Vision Master Pro 410 - Diamondtron NF tube. Win98SE.
    Plextor CD-RW 12x10x32.
    MediaStudioPro 6.0 Video Editing Software.
    Digital Camcorder: Panasonic DX1E - 3x CCD, analogue in/out.
    VCR: JVC HR-S7000 (S-VHS).
    Separate 5in JVC Monitor.
    Merv

Many Athelons really do require a 300W power supply.

Typical symptom is everything seems to work except for "random" lockups under heavy load. Rendering is probably about the heaviest load you can put on a win9x system.

Also, make sure your CPU fan is working and the heatsink is firmly attached.

--wally.

Comment

In case it helps.
      I recently discovered that when MSP5 is going into one of its 'Lock up' days. That if i go into Windows/temp, and delete all the '~audio' and '~video' files. Hey presto, no more lock ups!!!

Strangely, MSP5.0 does not always clutter windows/temp, but when it does, - its lock up time.

I am using win95b + usb support. O/S.

Does anyone have a little utility for clearing these files automatically?

------------------

Comment

A DOS delete command in your autoexec.bat file should do the trick.

Something like: del c:\windows\temp\*.avi c:\windows\temp\*.wav

Use Start->Run->sysedit to bring up an editor you can use that will automatically create the autoexec.bat file if you don't have one already.

A command: del c:\windows\temp\*.* is probably a bad idea as some installers setup programs put things there and a "run once" registry entry to do things on the next startup after setup tells you to reboot.

--wally.

Comment

Thanks Wally & Biker for your thoughts.

I thought I might have had the answer this afternoon. I transferred the Video Preview Files folder from boot disk C:\ back to the video disk D:\. My thinking being that as C disk was an ATA33 (slightly slower) and D disk was ATA100, that the processing during the render would be more 'in synch'. Unfortunately, I was proved wrong! Still the same problem - the screen freezes halfway through.
          Just to reiterate, selecting a portion of an edit (MSPro's blue line above the timeline), encompassing a couple of titles & transitions. Hit the double-headed arrow/playback for preview of it and it plays perfectly, after a lightning-fast preview render.
          BUT, saving that selection to file ('create' in MSPro6), the screen'freezes' approx a third into the edit, necesitating a restart. I am at a loss to explain this.
          I am sure that the CPU temp is nothing to worry about as the Asus Probe utility, CPU & M/board temp. Monitor reports all is OK.
          Again I would appeal to the experienced amongst you video-editors on this forum, for some answers as I am anxious to get on with some editing myself. In anticipation of some thoughts on this, many thanks.
          Merv
          PS: Apart from speed, I had no problems of this sort before upgrading to the zippier system, see above. Before, my 3x slower system - CPU AMD K6-2-333Mhz on an Asus P5A-B board with 192Mb SDRAM. Vid Disk - UDMA 5400rpm 16.8Gb HD IBM Deskstar ATA33.
          Merv

Comment

Working...
          X