Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to limit port ranges in WinXP?

Hey all,
    I've got two machines behind a NAT here at home. I've got the router doing port forwarding for certain port ranges. There are a few port ranges that I don't want WinXP to try to use for its connections. How can I tell WinXP not to use certain ports?

Thanks!
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

or

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.
    Last edited by agallag; 16 October 2004, 13:57.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Do you have a Linksys? Much easier to configure there and you aren't using your software to do it.

Dave
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
        Do you have a Linksys? Much easier to configure there and you aren't using your software to do it.

Dave
        No, that's not true. My Linksys IS forwarding the ports. But the Windows machine still asks for data on ports that aren't sent to it.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Oh, I see, I mis-understood. You want Windows to stop using those ports all together rather than block traffic to those ports.
          Last edited by Helevitia; 17 October 2004, 10:37.
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
          X