.09 AMD64 overclocks 45%!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .09 AMD64 overclocks 45%!

The new 1.8GHz chips overclock 45% to 2.6GHz! That is pretty damn impressive. Makes me wish I waited a little longer.

Check it out.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

nice... I'll keep myh eye on the prices of those!
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Looks like a new reincarnation of the Celeron 300!

Comment

But these are multiplier locked right? (Or whatever the equivalent is in on-die-mem-controller-land) So you would need some pretty expensive RAM to get you those overclocks?
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Geeeeez. They always wait until about 6 weeks after a buy a new processor before the overclocks really go into orbit.

Damn you Doom3!!!!!!

Uberlad
          -------------------------
          8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
          5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

lol uberlad

Comment

Originally posted by uberlad
              Geeeeez. They always wait until about 6 weeks after a buy a new processor before the overclocks really go into orbit.

Damn you Doom3!!!!!!

Uberlad
              That's because they release new processors every 6 weeks.

You're always screwed.

- Steve

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                But these are multiplier locked right? (Or whatever the equivalent is in on-die-mem-controller-land) So you would need some pretty expensive RAM to get you those overclocks?
                Maybe I'm wrong here, I thought you couldn't go past the default multiplier but could always set a lower value ?

As for ram, you could use a 3:2 CPU:Memory ratio, so you're up for 300MHz fsb for CPU till your reach the set value for PC3200 ram. You don't necessarily need to go 1:1.

Comment

The FX variant of the a64 isnt multiplier locked
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

But it's too damn expensive!

Comment

I've been an Intel guy my whole life, but lately I'm starting to lose faith in them, not because their stuff sucks, but because they aren't keeping up with AMD! Damn those new cpu's look nice.

Meanwhile Intel cancels 4ghz, a stupid move when they have nothing but headroom, heck, we've seen a 100% overclock with the prescott core.
                      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I've read multiple times on the net that it's not the speed that the prescott cores can attain that is holding them back.
                        According to those articles/posts, it's the heat and power usage that is.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
                          I've read multiple times on the net that it's not the speed that the prescott cores can attain that is holding them back.
                          According to those articles/posts, it's the heat and power usage that is.
                          True, but the same was said of the Athlons of old, and used by Intel-nuts to stay away from AMD The simple fact is that AMD is king of the CPU world right now, and will stay that way until Intel pulls their heads out of their collective arses and fixes their CPUs.

Jammrock
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen|
                            Meanwhile Intel cancels 4ghz, a stupid move when they have nothing but headroom, heck, we've seen a 100% overclock with the prescott core.
                            So you don't think if Intel could release a 4Ghz P4 tomorrow they would do it

If people were getting those kind of overclocks with standard air cooling and at stock voltages then you may have a point. Using esoteric cooling systems that reduce the CPU to sub-zero temperatures plus bumping up the core voltage isn't really relevant.
                            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                              True, but the same was said of the Athlons of old, and used by Intel-nuts to stay away from AMD The simple fact is that AMD is king of the CPU world right now, and will stay that way until Intel pulls their heads out of their collective arses and fixes their CPUs.

Jammrock
                              oh don't get me wrong, I'm in no way trying to downplay the importance of the factors I mentioned.
                              I rather was giving the observation by Mehen an explanation.

Comment

Working...
                              X