Vsync does this matter or not.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Re: LCD's

Originally posted by The PIT
    Vsync does this matter or not.
    No.

In fact, my WUXGA LCD monitor takes advantage of this in order to support 1900x1200 through DVI. It utilizes the blanking interval bandwidth to handle the extra data since single link DVI wasn't designed to support this resolution.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Interesting.

Vsync enabled play less smooth.

Vsync disabled smoother play but artifacts.

But your reply is what I would have said.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Re: Re: LCD's

Originally posted by xortam
        No.

In fact, my WUXGA LCD monitor takes advantage of this in order to support 1900x1200 through DVI. It utilizes the blanking interval bandwidth to handle the extra data since single link DVI wasn't designed to support this resolution.
        Yes, it matters. Your monitor is taking advantage of the flyback time.

V-sync is not related to that.

A video card has a memory page that will be the data it sends, analog or digital, to the monitor. It sends it at the refresh rate of the monitor.

V-sync says "only update the video memory page in sync with the sending of that page to the monitor." So even with an LCD, if it's only 1/2 way through sending a screen of data, and you update the memory, then you're changing the image that is being sent.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Sounds like I getting tempted to crt again.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

So you should be best setting vsych on then.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
              So you should be best setting vsych on then.
              Yes, which is normally 60Hz for LCD.
              Last edited by xortam; 18 October 2004, 22:50.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

So if I get a card that can refresh the screen at 600 fps what is best.

In either case LCD or CRT shouldn't make a differance as the update should be too quick for the eye too see???

Now with this lcd if I move the mouse up and down I don't see any distotion or rippling. From side too side I do. I thought the lcd did it all in one go.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

With v-sync on the rendered frame rate won't exceed the displays refresh rate which might make a difference in games that syncronize their physics engines and whatnot to the frame rate, and in high speed reflex-twitch games like Counter-Strike where higher frame rates are preferable when you spin around rapidly to head-shot the person who just shot at you from behind. And if your frame rate drops below 60 Hz it'll get pretty nasty looking if you have v-sync on without triple-buffering to help smooth things out a bit.

I don't think Windows uses v-sync for it's GUI, although I believe GDI itself does support it if applications are written to use it. Thus if you drag windows left and right you'll get shearing on an LCD or CRT if it's regular Windows OS stuff.

Comment

Then you have to think about getting a nice lcd with a quick response time too...
                    |CPU|Intel P4 2.8GHz(800MHz) @ 3.4GHz(980MHz)|CPU Cooling| CoolerMaster Hyper 6 CPU Heatsink & Fan, Arctic Silver 5 |Mobo|MSI 865PE Neo2-FIS2R (Bios 2.4)|RAM|2 x 256MB Geil PC3200 RAM, Dual Channel, 5:4, 2-3-3-5|HDD|2 x WD 36G 10000RPM SATA (8MB Buffer), RAID 0|Video Card|256MB Sapphire x800pro VIVO 475/450@540/520, 16 pipelines enabled, 3D Connect bios|Video Card Drivers|Omega v2.5.90|CD-RW|LiteOn CD-RW|LCD|17" ViewSonic VP171s|PSU|Enhance 400W|K&M|Logitech MX Duo|OS|Windows XP, SP2, DirectX 9c

Comment

The LCD monitors 'scan' in a sense, in that they update line by line at the vsync rate of 60Hz. So if your graphics card can push more than 60fps and you have flip on vsync disabled, then you might be changing the image before the panel completed drawing, hence the tearing artifact that everyone knows about. Turn vsync on and you should be locked at 60fps, unless the card gets squeezed then you'll drop to 30fps. CRTs you can drive the vsync faster, say at 100Hz so you can set vsync on and assuming your card can match it you'll get the higher 100fps.. if it can't it'll drop down to 50fps and update the data every other frame.

Comment

Working...
                      X