Intel drops plans for 4GHz Pentium 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel drops plans for 4GHz Pentium 4

THERE WON'T NOW be a version of the Pentium 4 running at 4GHz, Intel has confirmed to the INQUIRER today.
    According to a representative we spoke to at Intel this evening, the reason is part of its strategy shift to offering CPUs based not on frequency but on features such as additional cache, eventually dual cores, and other elements such as front side bus speeds.

Well, gains from more cache (see the EE's benchmarks) will only be minimal and only in select apps and also dual cores will only show gains when benchmarked with encoding a video in background for most consumer and office applications (and this is a consumer/office CPU). Also I read that gains by intel dualcore CPUs are not as high as with K8, which was designed with dual core in mind from scratch.

Basically netburst is at end of line and Intel will probably have to bring banias based desktop CPU if AMD presses up the heat.

This depends, how their 90nm process will scale and they probably also would like a bit of slowdown to recoup on RND.

Comment

Remember intel always has Centrino. Up it's sleeve. It is now a powerful market name.

I dont think chucking cache at it is worth it in the long run.

Intel need to look at what factors in a processor need the most prcessing power then release a decent co-processor.

I mean if a system needs to perform certain operations regulary that a general purpose cpu has a tough time with you might as well build a custiom ic for that task. And sell it with the package.

maybe Nvidia will adapt it's Geforce FX series once PCI express makes its way forward. ESP GPU assisted scene rendering (not just viewport)

Build antivirus monitoring into the Hard disk controller, etc.
      Last edited by Fluff; 14 October 2004, 17:05.

Comment

Hey, there's no such thing as too much cache, who wouldn't want 512 megs of L1 cache?

Comment

I guess they figured the average case could hold a HSF big enough to properly cool a 4 GHz Prescott.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thats a big oops for intel.....P4 was supposed to hit 10GHz by the end of its lifetime.

I wonder what there 64bit desktop strategy will be? The p4/xeon based amd64 extensions seem to half arsed and now they are canceling P4 what do htey have in the wings to replace it.

I can't see a cut down and x86 tweaked itanium being suitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
              Hey, there's no such thing as too much cache, who wouldn't want 512 megs of L1 cache?
              You wouldn't. All the logic involved in decoding address space would really slow you down, even for a successful cache hit.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Ok, I'll accept a quantum cache that has the data and instuctions ready before the processor knows it needs them.
                Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 14 October 2004, 20:36.

Comment

What a strange decision by intel, especially with the scalabilty of the 90nm Prescotts, I've seen a 100% overclock with the 2.4ghz 90nm part (2.4@4.8!!!). I know many people bitch about Intel not innovating, but when you can get your cpu speed to double AMDs...
                  Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                  Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen|
                    innovating, but when you can get your cpu speed to double AMDs...
                    It means nothing. CPU clock speeds cannot be compared across architectures.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen|
                      What a strange decision by intel, especially with the scalabilty of the 90nm Prescotts, I've seen a 100% overclock with the 2.4ghz 90nm part (2.4@4.8!!!).
                      Yeh and how was that cooled Intel can't exactly supply a Vapochill as the cooling system with all their new processors
                      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

the next year should prove far more intresting than the last...
                        "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

here is a nother intresting read from l'inq http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19098
                          "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Seems that the Inq is full of "interesting" things with this news. Could someone elaborate on what they mean by this quote:
                            The technical problems are the real killer. The Willamette and Northwood cores had several problems, most notably that they were probably the most aggressive circuit designs ever attempted. Elements on the bleeding edge that theoretically shouldn't have worked were made to work well. Northwood was an incredible success, and allowed it to claw back marketshare.

Comment

Damn I'm going to have to buy a new fan heater after all.

The heat and power consumption is concerning both AMD and Intel. Looks like the limit on speed is coming much quicker than they let on.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X