43in TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 43in TV?

Can Anyone suggest a 43in TV for me...perferably about for $2K or so?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Any number of rear-projetion CRT TV's will do. The Panasonic's looks nice and are well under $2k (usually around $1300). Toshiba makes a nice rear-projection TV, too. Just run over to Circuit City, Best Buy, or Ultimate Electronics and take a look at them.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Samsung used to make a 43" HD DLP but dropped it this year for the larger sets. I think some of its competitors have a DLP in this size range (LG, maybe Toshiba or Mits).

Be careful about burn-in issues with phosphor based TVs (CRT, plasma). How are you going to use this display; TV only or also computer? You may want to insist on digital video input ... preferably through HDMI (you must insist on HDCP support). Do you need HD? How about ED (480p)? I assume you'll be interested in a WS TV (16x9) for HD. Will you be watching a zoomed image always or will you want to watch in OAR?
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Mitsubishi's 42" DLP will supposedly be out sometime early next year.

I would seriously consider the Sony 34" KD34XBR960 CRT.

Comment

Well Its just going to be used for DVD and general TV watching. I'll upgrade to a HDTV cable box when I get it and I believe the box that my cable company offers supports DVI.
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I would recommend a digital display for HD (e.g. LCD, DLP) to get the best resolution on HD content. SD will generally look poorer on a HD display so it needs to be carefully processed to get a good quality image. You can let the TV process the SD (some use Faroudja chips or similar) or you can process in an external box or even a HTPC. Phosphor based TVs don't have the resolution of DTVs but they generally have better black levels/contrast ratios which is important to relay image depth (3D). DLPs have very good contrast ratios (improving all the time) but LCDs generally don't.

Burn-in is an issue with phosphor based displays which force the user to be careful about what images they display. Burn-in is the inordinate excitation of specific phosphors which cause them to decay faster than the surrounding phosphors. Burn-in manifests itself as burned-in images or lines. Crawls (those text bars at the bottom of news channels for instance) can cause burn-in. Network bugs (those "translucent" station icons in the bottom right of the image) can cause burn-in. You'd be surprised how many new HDTV owners howl when they see the Fox News or CNN logos burned into their expensive TVs (happens a lot these days with people glued to the news). Watching an image in non-full screen mode can cause burn-in. You only see a full screen image when you're watching 16x9 content on your 16x9 display or you've zoomed your content to fill the display. Image scaling and stretching will degrade your PQ so it should be avoided if possible. You'll want to watch a lot of 4x3 material on your new HD display since that's still the dominant format. That material must be manipulated to fill the screen or you may experience burn-in. Some people don't mind a manipulated image while others hate any distortions (caused by stretching to fit 16x9 AR) or artifacts induced by this image processing. Some people have no problem watching 4x3 content in OAR (Original Aspect Ratio) which will appear window-boxed on a 16x9 display (black bars all around the image). Any static image can cause burn-in on some HD displays. Gaming (console or computer) is also something you have to be careful with on some displays.

DVDs support 480p versus 480i for standard NTSC TV. A HD display will take advantage of this extra resolution to give you a more film-like look to your DVDs and reduce motion artifacts (progressive signal versus interlaced). The 480p signal will still have to be upscaled to fit the native resolution of your HD TV (1080i or 720p probably). DVDs that aren't encoded in a 16x9 format will have black bars (e.g. letterboxed) around the image unless you zoom the image to fit the screen. Many movies weren't even shot in 16x9 so they too will have to be manipulated to fill the whole screen.

Personally, I prefer to buy a fixed pixel digital display which is burn proof so I can use it as a general display, not just for TV. I leave fixed images on my 23" WS LCD TV/monitor for hours without any concern.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

That sony KvH recommended is a very good tv. I'm a sucker for CRTs though.
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
              Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
              X