Corrupted Desktop - WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrupted Desktop - WTF?

SO I was using my PC last night and Trillian Pro decided to go down for some reason. Not that I was really doing anything other than IMs. Anyway, when it did, it somehow corrupted most of the files on my windows desktop. I run FAT32 on XP. I ran scandisk to try to fix it, and it "fixed" some things, but I didn't get my files back...

Also, I'm not paying $90 for Spinrite 6.

Anyone have any advice?

Don't run FAT32.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
      Don't run FAT32.
      Hey, thanks.

When I installed XP over a year ago, I didn't have a lot available that could read NTFS if I ever got into a bind.

Comment

hmmm...Interesting.

My wife logged into her account this morning(Winxp - fat32) and all of her desktop icons were missing and her quick launch toolbar was gone.

I tried to re-enable the quick launch toolbar and it errors out.

Great, probably some new ****ed up virus. I haven't looked into it too much yet.
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

hmmm, now that I think about it, do you use AIM through trillian? I know a lot of viruses go through AIM if it is not patched. Also, my son was the last person to use the computer and he uses AIM extensively.
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Thus verifying my opinion that instant messaging is evil.
            Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 13 October 2004, 12:20.

Comment

Upon re-inspection, I set my WINDOWS partition to be NTFS (probably because I figured I wouldn't keep important data on there), and the rest of my drives are FAT32...

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                hmmm, now that I think about it, do you use AIM through trillian? I know a lot of viruses go through AIM if it is not patched. Also, my son was the last person to use the computer and he uses AIM extensively.
                I DO use AIM through Trillian...I'll update my virus defs...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                  Thus verifying my opinion that instant messaging is evil.
                  Yup plus people clicking on dodgy websites are my main hates at the moment.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

OH GOD BLESS THE FOUND.000 DIRECTORY! <3

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                      Hey, thanks.

When I installed XP over a year ago, I didn't have a lot available that could read NTFS if I ever got into a bind.
                      Yeah, but that was a year ago. You can convert FAT32->NTFS at any time, without formatting.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                        Yeah, but that was a year ago. You can convert FAT32->NTFS at any time, without formatting.
                        I think you missed my point. My point was that if anything were to go awry on my drive, I didn't have any utilities that could read/write NTFS to help fix the problem. Now with programs like BartPE, etc, it's no longer a real issue.

The reason I didn't do it since then without formatting is because I never really thought about it once it was up and running.

Comment

BTW, here are some utils I found in the meantime...

disk, forensics, search, investigate, forensic, drive, security, clean, recover, recovery

Comment

Some usefull tools for reading NTFS partitions:
                            from DOS:

from 95 and 98:

Jörg
                            pixar
                            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                              Upon re-inspection, I set my WINDOWS partition to be NTFS (probably because I figured I wouldn't keep important data on there), and the rest of my drives are FAT32...
                              I don't catch the point.
                              You use a fast, reliable, robust file system for the OS, and an absolutely "****-up partitions" for the data you value most?
                              Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Working...
                              X