Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Radeon 9200 to djual boot system

Hi everyone...

I've been trying to add a PCI ATI Radeon 9200 card to my 98/XP system, since there are no 98 drivers for my G650 (runs beautifully in XP). I rarely boot into WIN98, but on occasion I need to. I've had a lot of trouble getting the Radeon card to perform reliably. I suppose some of this is that I've left some other hardware in such as my Leadtek TV card, but I was hoping to avoid having to pull out my cards and install from scratch.

I'm considering dumping the ATI card and getting a PCI G450 instead. I figure it might be easier to set up and more stable next to the P650, which is basically not installed on the 98 side.

Is another Matrox card likely to be easier to get going, or should I just strip evrything out and install the Radeon from scratch? Thanks for any advice...

I've got one PC with a Parhelia AGP card and a G450 PCI card and another PC with a P650 AGP and an ATI 9200 PCI card.

Both configs work well in XP. Neither one gave me any setup problems. I don't use win 98 so I can't comment there. I can say that the Matrox PCI card has much better image quality at high rez than the ATI card. Also, I've found the Matrox Corporate SE drivers solve some compatibility problems I had with Visual Studio.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Well I've always been partial to the Matrox cards, having bought 6 or so over the years. It seems that the Radeon is awfully picky. I originally bought it with the idea of being able to play some of those fancy games that the Matrox cards won't play, but now all I want is a machine that will run okay under WIN98. I'll try uninstalling the other cards and give it another try.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Gordon
        but now all I want is a machine that will run okay under WIN98.
        If you want to use a 6-year-old, discontinued OS, then you'll have to consider sticking to hardware from that timeframe.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I think of WIN98 as sort of a high class safe mode for the XP side, in case I muck things up over there. You're right. I should have popped an 8 meg ATI 98 card in there. The G450 should work okay, though... I suppose.

Comment

Working...
          X