Active subwoofer or new receiver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active subwoofer or new receiver?

I currently have a 6 year old Denon receiver which is Pro logic only (no DTS). I have fairly large front speakers, but no subwoofer.

Simple question... if I want to upgrade but am on a budget where is the money best spent.. on a new receiver with DTS (and dolby digital) or an active subwoofer?
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

If you have a center and rear speakers, I'd go for the dts/AC3 option.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

you have fairly large front speakers, so adding a subwoofer may even cause phasing problems.
      are you happy with your current low frequency response?
      what will you be listening to the most (music or movies)?
      can you give some info on your current setup?
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

"Fairly large" means nothing to me. Are they "fairly large" B&W 802s or "fairly large" cheapo Kenwood rack system speakers?

Can you give us more information? Do you have center and rear speakers? do they match the fronts? What brand and model speakers?

Comment

I think I'd need a substantial pay raise to afford a set of 802's

Ok, a little more info...

My current receiver is a Denon AVR1400. It's a 5 X 50 W (8 ohm) pro logic receiver.

My Speakers are:

Front: Dali 8008
          1 X 1" high frequency driver
          1 X 5" midrange driver
          2 X 8" low frequency driver
          Browse our range of Hi-Fi products, keep up with events and product launches, read inspiring articles, get support and more. Welcome to DALI loudspeakers.

Center: Dali C1000
          Browse our range of Hi-Fi products, keep up with events and product launches, read inspiring articles, get support and more. Welcome to DALI loudspeakers.

Rear: Dali R1000

Center and rear channels are from the same series as the fronts and are build to match them.

I DO listen to music a lot, but currently I'm looking more towards improving the HT performance, so to speak.
          Last edited by Chris B; 11 October 2004, 00:18.
          If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

What DVD (SACD?) player do you have and what is yer budget?
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

My DVD is a denon DVD 1000.

My limit for a receiver is 800$, maybe around 600$ for a subwoofer. I figure a 1000$ subwoofer would be overkill in a 4000$ system.

Comment

Spend your money on a decent sub for the most impact (literally) for your money. Best bang for your buck.

You don't have a lot of bass coming out of 8" drivers and the movie experience can be greatly enhanced with good deep bass. DTS can sound better than DD but it wouldn't be as much a difference without a sub.
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I just talked to a colleague this morning and he basically said the same thing, that I'll notice a bigger difference with a good sub.

Comment

I guess KVH, Greebe and Jammrock would know better, but I would wonder whether a sub would enhance your music experience. The cabinets of your fronts seem decently sized for the drivers and quite a bit of bass. I;ve never liked subs, especially when decent bass comes out of yer speakers already. With movies it may be different though. I get the impression it;s not so much that you would get lower frequencies than you currently get, just that between 50 and 80 hz, you get higher volumes.

A good store might lend you a sub to see for yourself perhaps.
                    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I have heard that REL are quite good for subs . Not sure on price . www.rel.net

I cant remember was pro logic the one that made the surround (mono) and centre and sub from an encoded stereo signal?

Comment

That's what I've heard as well. I wonder though, the Q series cabinets are small compared to what he has. Is 12" (largest Q-series) in a small case really better than 2 x 8" drivers in a larger case?

Comment

Get them both!
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

*slaps forehead* of course. Why didn't I think of that

Comment

Well, both a sub and a new receiver would be good, but it depends on your priorities. Go ahead and get the sub since you don't have one, but listen to them all first. Good bass doesn't come cheap, but there are some $350 woofers that are alright (B&W ASW300). My pick would be a Velodyne SPL10 or 12, but they are a bit more costly.

Comment

Working...
                              X