Question about wireless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about wireless

I've got a friend who's family just got broadband and wants to be able to use it from all the PCs in the house. I suggested setting up a wireless network and they like the idea. I haven't done much research, but I figure I can do the following:

There's a single PC on one floor, which has the ADSL connection attached (currently through a USB modem). Replace the modem with an ethernet router/modem/AP.

On another floor are 2 or 3 PCs, which could be connected to an AP/hub/repeater. They're in separate rooms but actually quite close together, so hopefully ethernet cable shouldn't be a big problem (to be discussed, obviously).

There are also two laptops with built-in wireless. I assume they're 802.11g or at worst .11b, so as long as the wireless equipment is .11g there shouldn't be a compatibility problem.

I'm just posting because I have ZERO experience with wireless, and I want to check that the above makes sense, the equipment mentioned actually exists, and there isn't something else I haven't taken into account.

BTW, the broadband is AOL ADSL, but I have information which says it can be made to work with a router. Obviously I'll check this before anything gets ordered.

Thanks in advance
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Re: Question about wireless

Originally posted by Ribbit
    BTW, the broadband is AOL ADSL, but I have information which says it can be made to work with a router.
    It can be but only with certain routers, AOL have a list of compatible ones on their site somewhere.

How is the wireless router going to be connected to the AP, via an ethernet cable or wirelessly. If it's wirelessly then you need a router that supports WDS.
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Okay, it looks like I've been abusing certain terms, especially "router", where I think I meant "gateway". Let me try again.

At ADSL connection: a firewall/gateway box with an ADSL modem, ethernet port (or maybe hub/switch), and wireless interface. Perhaps a Netgear DG834?

On the other floor: An ethernet hub/switch with wireless interface, and perhaps a repeater. I'd want to make a wireless bridge between this and the other box. Maybe a Linksys WET54GS5? (Couldn't see anything equivalent at Netgear's site) This box would also be in a better position to cover the garden, where at least one of the laptops is going to spend a lot of time.

As for the AOL ADSL, I found a page (should have bookmarked it) where someone got it working with some el-cheapo non-AOL-approved modem/gateway, and posted the appropriate settings. I've got a spare gateway somewhere which I could verify this with before any money gets spent.
      Last edited by Ribbit; 7 October 2004, 08:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
        [B]Okay, it looks like I've been abusing certain terms, especially "router", where I think I meant "gateway". Let me try again.
        In the context of what your trying to do they are one and the same

On the other floor: An ethernet hub/switch with wireless interface, and perhaps a repeater. I'd want to make a wireless bridge between this and the other box. Maybe a Linksys WET54GS5?
        That will purely act as a bridge i.e. it will connect the wired PC's to the router via a wireless link, it will not service wireless clients.

This page might help with the router settings

When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
          That will purely act as a bridge i.e. it will connect the wired PC's to the router via a wireless link, it will not service wireless clients.
          Ok, but if it has a repeater then it can give wireless clients better access to the router, right? If that's so then it's even better, as it simplifies setting this all up.

Comment

Working...
          X