dual dvi with different resolutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual dvi with different resolutions

will any matrox card (ie the QID?) allow you to connect WITH DVI to two lcd monitors using different resolutions. the p650 and p750 will not (they will only if one is an analog connection). matrox tech support said the parhelias will not either. can the QID card? are the any cards from other manufacturers that will do this (eg quadro or wildcat)? thanks.

ummmmm...

my p650 does this just fine? (drive 2 TFT panels at different resolutions, both through DVI).

Comment

It was only hte first (buggy) release of the parhelias that had this problem I believe.
      The 8x agp parhelia and P cards should work fine with differant resolutions.

Comment

this is most interesting....
        there are several posts on the matrox tech support forum stating that you can't use different resolutions if both connections are dvi. we're talking 2 dvi-i cables from a p650/p750/parhelia to the dvi connectors of 2 lcd monitors. the matrox web site implies you can do it.

"Dual-DVI outputs with independent resolution support"

i specifically asked if this can be done and was told no by one of the matrox employees. i even asked again and was given the same answer regarding all 3 boards.

i guess i will have to try it again.

Comment

Maybe they're talking about stretched vs. non-stretched desktops?
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

here is the thread.

i forgot that it is not literally that you supposedly cannot use two resolutions but they stated that you are limited to the max resolution of the smaller monitor, which would mean to me that you supposedly can't use the native resolution of both monitors.

do you guys find this to be true?

Comment

Limited to the smallest resolution of either monitor? Yeah, probably for DVI.

Inability to use different resolutions on dual DVI? I've heard that, too. Perhaps it affects some cards, but not mine.

I switched to dual independant, changed the resolution on one, and took a quick shot. Not focused, but you get the point.

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
              ASUS A7N8X
              Corsair 1GB PC3200
              Parhelia 128MB
              EIZO L685EX

Comment

XhotKolaX - look at the left monitor, and look at where the picture cuts off.... that is what is being described... if you set the background to a lighter color it is easier to see...
                "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

well i got a 2nd dvi cable, hooked up the 1600x1200 and 1366x768 monitors and it all seems to work just fine with my p650. i had been using one of the monitors in analog mode. can't say i really understand the comments in the tech support forum.

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                    XhotKolaX - look at the left monitor, and look at where the picture cuts off.... that is what is being described... if you set the background to a lighter color it is easier to see...
                    Done. Same URL as above.

Some P drivers force it to resize to fit the screen, some have it align to the upper left.

I prefer it to the upper left so I can use the monitor's hardware resize to fit to screen, if I wish.

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
                    ASUS A7N8X
                    Corsair 1GB PC3200
                    Parhelia 128MB
                    EIZO L685EX

Comment

Working...
                    X