Dell 1901FP - opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell 1901FP - opinions?

It's currently in the $500 range. I'm thinking about it since my Sony is starting to show its age.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

I've got a Dell 2001FP it's bigger brother. At the time it's price was good but now theres better around.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Rob, a mutual friend asked me to post this for you.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Oh yeah, Dell Tech Support. I knew there was a reason not to buy this.

Sigh. What I'd like to do is save up for a Cornerstone p1750, but they appear to be out of stock.

I want a quality flat 21" aperture grill display.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yeh when I got my DELL 2001fp it was stuck in power save mode. After switching several times between analogue and Digital it finally came of out the mode.

This problem just doesn't effect Dell's though as other monitors also have the same problem. Nvidea cards and ATI cards suffer from the problem. Dunno whos dropped the bollock on this but theres something wrong somewhere.

Dell support is crap but as the trend of out sourcing continues the problem will spread.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I've got a Dell 2001FP it's bigger brother. At the time it's price was good but now theres better around.
            Well, as it happens I'm in the market for a 20" LCF right now. What better is there nowadays. Mostly office-like use, but I'd love to get back to playing Fighter Ace as well, and my kids like to play Harry Potter games, so gaming will occur as well, just not a lot. Preferably with speakers.

Any ideas?

Budget is up to euro 1,000 (yeah, just once in a while I treat myself well).
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

And what was that german site again where they had loads of reviews on displays again?
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Umfangreiche Tests, News und Kaufberatung zu Monitoren für Gaming, Büro, Home-Office, CAD, Bildbearbeitung oder Grafik.

mfg
                wulfman
                "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                "Lobsters?"
                "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Ouch, that Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW looks nice. A pain though that in the US it's $800 wheras over here it is euro 891.31.... That's a premium of some 48%.....

Wonder if my Sapphire 9600 Pro would support 1680 x 1050....

Anyway, I'm still looking, any ideas hints tips are welcome indeed.

edit: Thanx wulfman, that was the one.
                  Last edited by Umfriend; 16 December 2004, 06:53.

Comment

wouldn't take the 2005 anyway, less screen area than a normal 20" (and less pixels), visible area only as high as a 17",...

mfg
                    wulfman
                    "Lobsters?"

Comment

True, but as I see it, the pixels are a tad smaller than those of a 17", which I would like.

Also, I like to have things in one view, always hated alt+tabbing through windows. I assume normal apps will sorta use the same width as with a 5:4 screen (I mean, the same number of pixels horizontally), so I have some spare room on the right to have whatever on. I see it more as gaining 400 pixels to the right compared to a 17, 18 or 19".

Comment

well, but you mentioned getting a 20" earlier. you will only gain 80 pixel on the side and lose 150 at the bottom.

20" -> 4:3 aspect ratio!

mfg
                        wulfman
                        "Lobsters?"

Comment

Yep, that is right. Main reason was I did not want 1280x1024.

And isn't 1280 x 1024 a 5:4 ratio?

Comment

it is. but 1600x1200 is not.

mfg
                            wulfman
                            "Lobsters?"

Comment

Yes, but the screens are 5:4, too, so pixels are square, unlike running 1280x1024 on a 4:3 CRT.

AZ
                              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                              X