Its hard drive day today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its hard drive day today!

Alright I'm batting a .1000 today. The network admin asks me to look at one of the Dell PC's that they where having problems with booting up. Would get get a POST beep and since they are under warrenty, I'm NOT supposed to open them up and work on them. I drag the Precision 650 workstation down to my office and set it down on my work bench. I thought about it for a second and I'm like **** it let me open it up. I checked the memory and reinserted it and it boots up fine, but I kill it before it goes into Windows.

I drag the heavy SOB back down to the room its in and the Network Admin assisitant is like we have two other computers that aren't booting into Windows. One is pretty obivious that its hard drive since its getting drive I/O errors booting in safe mode. The other one is strange...Boots in Win2K, but then bluescreens for a second before rebooting and I can't see an error code. Thankfully the PC's are equiped with HDD sleds that we can swap drives around with and each PC has 2 drives that are ghosted with the same image. I Swap the drives around on the workstation that was acting werid and it works fine. So I go back to trouble shooting them and I go into the Boot menu to try and boot off a floppy with Seagate's Drive testing tools. For some reason they dont see the floppy but I notice in the boot menu on the PC they have an IDE HHD tester, so I select that and find out that both hard drives are shot. I go back down to my office and call Dell Tech Support (thankfully my account gets American tech support people, not the ones from India) and I get processed for two New HHD to come to my site so I can swap them out. While I'm on hold, the Network Admin Assisant comes to me and tells me that the PC with the loose RAM can't boot into windows. I get finshed up with Dell and go back into the room and find out that PC has the same problem as the other two I just took care of!

So that makes 3 dead Seagate 80GB hard drives in one day and 4 total for PC's that are only a year or two old. Makes me wonder if anyone out there can put together a decent HDD without it failing after a year or two
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Hopefully not a trend for all seagate drives. Anyone remember the fujitsu saga of 3 million faulty drives.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Perhaps the box containing them was dropped?
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

GT98, I feel your pain, You should know that Dell DID recieve a lot (A single Large Lot) of bad drives from both Seagate and Maxtor in 2002-2003.

We have had major issues because of it, to the point where we stopped Troubleshooting them and sent them direct to service based on their Service Tag Number.
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
          Hopefully not a trend for all seagate drives. Anyone remember the fujitsu saga of 3 million faulty drives.
          Yup, I remember
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

What's the weather been like? Any big swings in temperature or barometric pressure?
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
              What's the weather been like? Any big swings in temperature or barometric pressure?
              Nope just normal fall cooling off, plus they are in a controlled envoriment
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I've been questioning the QC process of hard drive manufacturers lately myself. I went through a stretch where, between work and home, I saw SIX hard drives die (all of mechanical failure). 2 Fujitsus, 3 Maxtors, and one Western Digital. The Maxtor drives were all less than 6 months old.
                Bart

Comment

Working...
                X