limited internet access question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• limited internet access question....

Hi guys....I have a 56k dialup connection to an ISP, and am running W98SE and explorer.

I want to let my children access their homework sites when I am not around, but not go surfing around generally.

Does anyone know how to allow a user on this machine to be able to connect to the net but be limited to only 1 or 2 websites?

Can it be done within W98SE, or is there a third party software solution? Can this be done with XP if I upgrade?

Thanks for any assistance
    P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

I wonder if you could use the content adviser of Microsoft Internet Explorer... (tools | internet options | content)

You could try to enable it, configure it so that the users cannot see unrated sites (is a checkbox somewhere), and only approve the sites you want them to access...
    It of course assumes that there is a way of saying that you don't want them to access any site, not only according to some rating system...

I'm not sure if it works properly (I have NEVER used it), it could be that it blocks them off too much (i.e. google has a lot of sites in the cache... ). I also think that this will block the unrated websites for all users, so that might be a disadvantage. Also, they could use another browser...

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 5 October 2004, 08:10.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Yes, you can use IE 6 parental lock feature. Just configure it so it can only access the few sites you allow, then it will ask for a password for anything that's not on the authorized list.

Pick a good, hard to find password.

Comment

Working...
      X