Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multichannel output

Hello,

I have a very simple question (but I'm not sure the answer is equally simple).

If I now play a DVD (using PowerDVD, Mediaplayer, Ravisent, ...), I only have stereo output; yet my onboard sound supports 6 channel output (Realtek AC97).

What do I need to get multichannel output ?

And is any of these the right tool:
    AC3 Filter:
    Download AC3 Filter 2.6: AC3 Filter is a free audio decoder which allows media players to read files with AC3, DTS and MPEG audio tracks

AC3 decoder:
    Download AC3 Decoder 1.2.6 : AC3 Decoder is a convertor for AC3 files which can produce a variety of output files, including WAV, OGG, MP3...

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Does your software DVD player have multichannel output enabled?

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Well, PowerDVD says it needs an additional package, the others don't seem to provide any output in multichannel output...

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Typical. Most OEM/bundled DVD players don't offer multichannel out-of-box. Though the upgrade to multichannel usually isn't expensive, only around $20 USD or less. Usually.

The other option, and I don't know if it would work, is using a third part app like Media PLayer Classic, The Core Media Blayer, BS Player, etc. If you can get it use the WinDVD decoder for video and the downloaded AC3 codec for audio, then you might be able to pull off multichannel without paying. Though I don't know the exact pheasability of doing this, as I never have.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

there are free-to-use directshow codecs around to decode AC3 and MPEG2 for DVD playback, but they lack CSS decryption (you need a license = $$$ for that).

I'd suggest trying the Dscaler5 decoder pack (deinterlace.sourceforge.net). Afaik the AC3Filter works very well too.

Comment

PowerDVD or WinDVD OEM + AC3_Filter + Zoom Player should work also, without paying more.

But the easiest way is to get the full DVD player package. I just tried with my wife's computer wich has that sound chip and it worked (Realtek AC650, PowerDVD 5, multichanel enabled in player and nvmixer).
            A64 3500+ NewCastle @2550 (FSB 255, 10X)
            Abit AV8 v1.1 bios 1.7
            2X256 MB Crucial Ballistix PC4000 (1T Cas 2.0, 2-2-6) @DDR333/FSB255=212MHZ
            LC Power 550 W
            Geforce 6800 GT (Asus V9999GT-TD /128) @428/900 + nvSilencer 5 rev.2
            Thermalright XP-90 + Enermax 92mm fan
            NEC 3520A DVD-RW Firmware 3.04
            SB Audigy 2
            BELINEA 10-17-30
            XP Home SP2 - Via Hyperion Pro 5.00A
            Via IDE accelerator Driver 1.21 Beta
            Via RAID 4.30C driver Via velocity V23 Network driver
            ------------------------------------------
            3DMark05=5024 3DMark03=12508 3DMark01=24352 AquaMark03=70712

Comment

I only seem to have result with AC3Filter... I have no clue on how dscaler could help the audio in other softwares (and it doesn't seem to play back DVDs).

Still, now I get multichannel output in Windows Media Player, but not in PowerDVD or Ravisent. Is there any better DVD player besides mediaplayer with which AC3Filter might work? (or is there some setting to get it to work with Ravisent or PowerDVD)

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

Dscaler5 (currently) only consists of a mpeg2 video and ac3 audio decoder package. Dscaler4 is the one you probably downloaded.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
                  Dscaler5 (currently) only consists of a mpeg2 video and ac3 audio decoder package. Dscaler4 is the one you probably downloaded.
                  The man knows! The man knows!
                  (sorry, I'm in a movie-quote day )

Thanks, I'll give dscaler5 a go...

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

Ok, so I downloaded dscaler5 from here:
                    Download DScaler Deinterlacer/Scaler for free. An application that does scaling/deinterlacing/inverse telecine using a high powered PC and certain TV capture cards. Essentially, this software converts a PC into a good-quality line doubler/scaler/upconverter machine!

Installed it, everything went smooth. Now, in the start menu, I have 2 links to websites and 1 helpfile. In the folder where I installed dscaler 5, there are some dll's.

Do I need to move them somewhere manually? As currently, inside Windows (or in DVD players), there is no trace of dscaler to be found...

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

it's a directshow filter.
                      whether it'll actually be used depends on stuff like are there compatible decoders installed already, etc.
                      you can build a manual directshow graph with 'graphedit' if you wish to try multiple filters concurrently installed on your system (you can find graphedit through google).

Comment

I'll try it, I have found graphedit...

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

Weird, I tried making a filter path with graphedit, and it just crashed... Seems to do so everytime I include a dscaler thing...

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

Make sure you don't try to render a stream which is CSS encrypted (like most DVDs) when you play back with dscaler5 filters, as they don't contain DeCSS algorythms.

This is what my graph looks like:

Comment

If you want to try some direct show filters, have a look at Zoom Player. It allows multiple combinations. I think it's the easiest way to compare the filters.

For protected DVDs (CSS), you have to rip them on the HD (with DVDDecrypter) or decrypt on the fly with AnyDVD.

See my actual Zoom Player set-up window on the sent picture.
                              Attached Files
                              A64 3500+ NewCastle @2550 (FSB 255, 10X)
                              Abit AV8 v1.1 bios 1.7
                              2X256 MB Crucial Ballistix PC4000 (1T Cas 2.0, 2-2-6) @DDR333/FSB255=212MHZ
                              LC Power 550 W
                              Geforce 6800 GT (Asus V9999GT-TD /128) @428/900 + nvSilencer 5 rev.2
                              Thermalright XP-90 + Enermax 92mm fan
                              NEC 3520A DVD-RW Firmware 3.04
                              SB Audigy 2
                              BELINEA 10-17-30
                              XP Home SP2 - Via Hyperion Pro 5.00A
                              Via IDE accelerator Driver 1.21 Beta
                              Via RAID 4.30C driver Via velocity V23 Network driver
                              ------------------------------------------
                              3DMark05=5024 3DMark03=12508 3DMark01=24352 AquaMark03=70712

Comment

Working...
                              X