Wanted: PC for under £600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: PC for under £600

My sister is after PC for her PhD. She wants to spend an upper limit of £600.

She only has two absolute requirements: a TFT display and 512MB RAM.

I looked into getting her an Asus A7N8X-E, XP2500+, Seagate 120GB, 2x256MB DDR (for dual mode), Radeon 9700 along with a case/psu, kb&m, cdrw etc.. but it came out at around £760ish.

Can anyone recommend a decent spec for around £600? She is not interested in playing games.

I have seen reasonable packages from the likes of Dell, but I am sure we can do better!

Cheers!
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Does she need an office machine, or will she be cranking a lot of numbers?

Maybe a Via Epia type machine? Small and quiet.

A 9700 is overkill for what she's doing, look into a 9500 or 9600.

For someone like her, no you probably can't do better than Dell. Remember that buying from Dell gets her support, rather than leaning on you.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

+ a cheap tft.

Will be a whisker over $600 inc. But a RTB warranty isnt amazing.
      Last edited by Fluff; 3 October 2004, 13:31.

Comment

If this is going to be just an office machine, both suggestions so far are total overkill. Rather spend less on the machine, and more on a good TFT (don't forget a nice keyboard if she is going to write lots).

Some low-end Athlon or even Duron or whatever and any cheap passively cooled graphics card with DVI out, 512MB DDR, a decent HD (and I think noise, price, and reliability would be more important than speed and capacity - I don't think she'll be writing multi-GB word docs ), some kind of Writer (dunno how much they cost nowadays), cherry KB, mouse (I don't think she needs many extra buttons, wireless, or bluetooth...), cheap-ish case (no need for an Antec, Chieftec, Lian Li and those other bling bling cases. It's only a friggin' case!), quiet, reliable PSU (not fanless - too pricey, and you'd need a case fan anyway), nice 17"+ TFT, and you're set.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Paddy, If you aren't building yourself, buy from Dell.

self build: ASUS A7n8x-vm-400 (integrated gfx etc but has agp port), ~2500+, 120GB, 2*256, DVD-RW, case, floppy will cost £320. Just add spkrs, keybd, mouse and TFT from ebuyer and you have change from your £600. For games just add an agp card later.
          FT.

Comment

Have you looked at Dell?

edit: Tony beat me to it. Just.
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I agree.. there are some good Micro-atx boards out there with decent chipsets with video, lan, sound, and all built-in and an agp slot.. you just need to hunt them down. I managed to build an imaginary Athlon2000+ system with one of them for about $325 not too long ago. A duron might be a better choice if your micro-atx case has a wussy power supply, though.

Comment

cheers lads.
                Yes I will be building my self... I'll give her a shout today.
                (although I was kind of hoping to flog some of my older kit to her! )
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Why not? What is your older kit?

AZ

Comment

Ah! I see another man making the switch to 64 bit!
                    FT.

Comment

I have a7n8x-e, xp3200+, 512x2 ddr, AIW9800se to pro, seagate 120GB SATA x2. To good for her me thinks... I could always sell the mobo and CPU though....

Comment

Ehh.. here's a buyer

(actually, I'm broke What would you want for the CPU or one of the RAM sticks though? The other 512 should be plenty for her )

AZ

Comment

I'd sell her either both or none of the RAM - I can't run it in dual mode otherwise
                          As far as the CPU is concerned I'd give her retail price
                          She will be getting some of my spares, but anything that I have to replace I'll sell (She earns more than me ATM )

Comment

She is determined to get a Dell. Can anyone recommend a good one for around £650 all in?

Comment

www.dell.co.uk
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X