Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 great minutes

Hello,

Well, as usual on Saturday, I headed to the flight club for my practical pilot lessons... After about 1 hour of touch-and-go's, numerous enginefailure exercises (in take off, ...), sudden go-arounds (abort the landing, or simulating the engine restarted during the forced landing, ...), we landed...

While taxiing, the instructor said: 'Well, you now are going to make 1 circuit by yourself. Do the landings like the other ones today, nothing can happen'.
    I was very calm and knodded yes.
    He then explained the tower what was going on, closed the door and I started taxiing to the holding point (as was approved). I contacted tower, ready for departure, and was cleared to take off.
    Once on the runway, I pushed the throttle, the plane accellerated and I took off...

Suddenly, I looked to my right hand side: 'hey, this seat is empty...', then it hit me: 'WOW!, I'm flying solo!'
    This was awesome!

I completed the circuit, made an acceptable landing (it wasn't my nicest one of the day though) and taxied back to the club. After some congratulations (and the obligatory drink) it really started to hit me...

I DID MY FIRST SOLO FLIGHT!
    (ok, so it only took 10 minutes to do that circuit)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Congratulations !!!
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

cool
      now rent a plane and go visit all the Murcers
      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Lucky bastard! I've been "flying" PC simulators since the C=64 day, but I've never flown in real life, as a passenger or otherwise.

Comment

Cool! Well done VJ!
          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

woah! that sounds awesome! congrats VJ!

Comment

Well done.
              P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

come pick me up!

Comment

Congratulations! You absolutely HAVE to visit me, we have a small airfield here...

AZ
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Gefelicivliegerstaart!
                      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

EXCELLENT!!

Welcome to the ranks of those who have s**t their pants at 5000 ft.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks...

Dr. Mordid: actually, not yet... The circuit at our airport is at 1000 ft (AMSL, but elevation is 7 ft or so), so I guess that 5000 ft 'treat' will be when I begin my inflight navigation...
                          Still, there is much more to come before being able to visit the MURCers. I've only flown for like 8 hours or so, virtually all were circuits. Next lesson we'll begin landing with flaps, and I believe longer distances (which require navigation) are still a couple of hours off.

I had a feeling it would happen though: the instructor simulated enginefailures on the weirdest imaginable moments (right after takeoff, just after leaving the airfield, ...), and also included some weird situations (while in final approach: 'NO, you can't land now, you have to make a go around!' and just after starting that go-around there was an engine failure )

Jörg
                          pixar
                          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

thats very cool.
                            www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                              Lucky bastard! I've been "flying" PC simulators since the C=64 day, but I've never flown in real life, as a passenger or otherwise.
                              Well go do it then. Most municipal airfields have introductory lessons for around $50. Go do it. You won't regret it.
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                              X