SP2 query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP2 query

I still haven't updated to SP2 as I like to hold off until things have been out a while especially with MS. Though I was wondering do I need to update to SP2 if I want to receive future security updates and such ?

Many Thx
    Andy

There are plenty of security changes in SP2 that will never be ported over. Short answer is yes.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

at the same time, critical updates should still be offered for SP1 for a while. Don't quote me on that, but they should at least patch vulnerabilities in XP/SP1

like Wombat said though, there are a ton of security changes in SP2 that will never be ported back.
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Ok, thanks for the reply guys

Comment

I'm not sure about that DG. I HAD to install an update program b4 i could run winupdate, and the only item was SP2 listed after the scan even tho the rig was not up to date afaik (work PC)
          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

If Microsoft didn't continue to provide critical updates for SP1 (or even for that matter Win2k SPxx) for quite a while, a lot of large corporations with many hundreds of thousands of licenses would be left high and dry. I doubt very much that they would do this.

There is very often a lag of >12 months between a service pack being release and it being deployed within a corporate.
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by Dilitante1
              I'm not sure about that DG. I HAD to install an update program b4 i could run winupdate, and the only item was SP2 listed after the scan even tho the rig was not up to date afaik (work PC)
              my experience with that is that it will pop that up first, and you have to click "No, thanks" or something like that before it will get to the updates.
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Microsoft's policy is to support the previous service pack for another 12 months after the release of the current one. During this time, critical updates at least, will be available for both service pack versions.
                nospam

Comment

DG, I get: We've made improvements to our website. To download the new version of the software and begin using Windows Update, please click Install Now.
                  there is no way around it, and I am not impressed :\

btw XP pro SP1
                  Last edited by Dilitante1; 3 October 2004, 07:08.
                  Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

It's not SP2, it's just the new winupdate proggie. you then have a choice between easy install and custom install of the patches.

Comment

to clarify it's "Custom Install -> No Thanks (to SP2) -> choose updates".

Comment

Working...
                      X