socket 423 p4 (1.5ghz - poss)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• socket 423 p4 (1.5ghz - poss)

Ok what are the chances of me being able to run this chip in a new motherboard? Some old dell system that doesn't boot - lights on nobody home - not even a beep which makes me think motherboard.

hmmmmm

eBay is probably your best bet, something like this :-

If it's a Dell it's likely to use a non standard form factor, so a normal ATX board will probably not fit
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

If I recall correctly Dell uses a proprietary power supply connector. You may not be able to put a non -Dell motherboard in there without changing the PSU. Before I spent any money on an antiquated computer I would triple check all other possibilities, such as a loose connetion etc...

Comment

hmm...this is a long shot... if you are lucky you might have got a standard retail MSI board with Dell, (like HP and ASUS motherboards), recently a lot of the Dell PCs i see are using MSI boards... if so you can buy any normal (usually micro-atx) motherboard and use it in your casing as long as your power connectors are standard. hope this info helps
        Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
        ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

motherboard no peeps ...hmmm... try clearing the CMOS then remove and place the RAM DIMMs back in .. works sometimes.. and also try borrowing a power supply to test .. it might be a faulty power supply
          Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
          ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

As mentioned, be careful with the Dell ATX power supply connectors. Most of them look like ATX, but they're actually a 'Dell Special' and they have the pinout reversed. Stupid Dell

Comment

aha thanks you lot. I gathered it was a non standard psu when I looked at the cable and though wtf is that? dodgy bloomin dell thing. CMOS did nowt am afraid.

Anyway saw the man and he said give me a quote for a new one and do what you want with the old one (spares are always useful). Most of the of it still works fine dvd, hd. The only thing I cant test is the cpu - ho hum.
              hmmmmm

Comment

Working...
              X