can't see or convert captured .avi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't see or convert captured .avi

ok, got my new g400-tv marvel all installed.
    I made a vid cap with avid and also captured the line in using pc-vcr remote. I can't view this .avi or convert it using the provided LSX-MPEG 2 transcoder.

Any ideas?

TIA

------------------
    mighty drumgod of the midwest

I'm assuming you can *find* this file. If so what error do you get, if any?

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

thank you for your quick reply.

"ERROR can not open input avi file.

Input file has incorrect format or is corrupted. please specify valid input file name and directory."

TIA!

Joe

------------------

Comment

Sounds like the MJPeg codec isn't properly installed.

I'd uninstall the Video Tools and reinstall version 1.52. Lemme know how it goes....

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thanks for teh tip, I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling and I am getting the same thing. BTW, my copy of videotools is Version 1.51.024. I tried downloading 1.52 from the matrox site but I kept getting errors. also, (not sure if this has anything to do with my problems,) but I keep getting this weird ddeml.dll error on boot up since I installed the matrox software.

Thanks a ton for your help

Joe

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Dr Mordrid:
          Sounds like the MJPeg codec isn't properly installed.

I'd uninstall the Video Tools and reinstall version 1.52. Lemme know how it goes....

Dr. Mordrid
          </font>

------------------

Comment

Joe

I had a similar problem once. I tried reinstalling all the Matrox stuff (both video tools and the card drivers) to no avail. I then reinstalled W98SE over the existing one et voilà, keine probleme.

No guarantee that it is the same problem, but it may be worth the try. My guess is that Windows does not recognise all the codecs unless it installs them itself into the registry, but who knows????

------------------
            Brian (the terrible)
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Joe

Are you saying you can capture with PCVCR, but not play back the just-captured avi file in PCVCR?.

Are you capturing with the Matrox MJPEG codec, or are you using RGB with a software codec?

------------------
              Lawrence
              Lawrence

Comment

Check your control panel to see if the matrox mjpeg codec is listed. if it is, check its settings and make sure it isn't disabled.

Comment

I am using the MJPEG codec.

Will try to reinstall win98 se over my current copy.

Thanks

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by LvR:
                  Joe

Are you saying you can capture with PCVCR, but not play back the just-captured avi file in PCVCR?.

Are you capturing with the Matrox MJPEG codec, or are you using RGB with a software codec?

</font>

------------------

Comment

I have this same trouble. Not sure when it started, but I would like to know if reloading W98 helped. For me it doesn't matter if it is M-Jpeg or RGB. If not are there anymore suggestions out there? By the way I have been watching these forums for the last couple of years and this is the first time that I've not found the awnser that that I was looking for.

Comment

Mrdj

Wow, a thread from the past!

I have examined the matter further, since my earlier post. I believe now that the problem is due to multiple entries in the registry, some of which may be conflicting. Cure: download RegCleaner (note the MS RegClean is worse than useless for this) and run it, giving it its head (I advise a registry backup first, just in case, although I've never had a problem).

As a matter of interest, I did a clean with this utility, re-ran it, giving zero entries to delete. I then reinstalled Win 98SE on top of the existing clean registry, re-ran the utility and it told me I had 8 unnecessary entries in the registry to delete, which I did. Even Windows itself is guilty of stuffing the registry with useless lines!
                      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Thanks , I gave it a try, but i'm still in the same boat. If I open the saved file in Quicktime or Windows media player I can get it to work. If I let PC-VCr open it automatically it will not open. If I use Ulead Media Studio 5.2 VE to open it, again same thing, it will not open. I'm almost at the point of giving up, formating and starting from scratch. Any more sugestions?

Comment

this sometimes works for me for getting apps to recognize a file.
                          if your desperate and dont mind possibly messing up the file

1. get latest virtualDub
                          2. goto tools>hex editor
                          3. file>open (uncheck that pesky open as read only)
                          4. open your file
                          5. look for the first instance of vids
                          dmb1
                          6. click on the d of dmb1 and type in mjpg
                          7. save then close then try with your app

this usually works for me on clean win2k install with no mjpg s/w codecs
                          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I do not eat ghosts...

Comment

Working...
                          X