Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bluetooth dongles

Hello,

I'm expecting to buy a new mobile soon (the Nokia 6260 when it becomes available). Now, I'd also need (yes, need ) a bluetooth connection to my PC.

I have seen various USB dongles, but are there any important differences ?
    Is it there any benefit in getting a Class 1 device (should support 100m in stead of the standard 10m)? Will I get a better range for instance (bearing in mind that the mobile is not class 1)?

Any recommendations?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

A Class 1 device is to be preferred, especially since they cost about the same as the 10m ones...and of course you'll benefit from the extra range, even though the phone can't do more then a few meters, it will come into the range of the dongle. The Belkin one seems to be a popular model. You could maybe try to find a Bluetooth 1.2 compatible one if they become available.
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

I have a MSI Bluetooth dongle that works well. I can good reception anywhere in my house and garden with it.
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Thanks!

On a slightly different topic, are there headsets (not necessarily bluetooth) which have stereo ? (i.e. one side has an earplug and a mic, the other side only has an earplug which you can use in when you want to listen to music)

Oh, and does anyone have experience with the B&O Earset 1 mobile...? (looks very cool)

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Sorry to haul up an old thread, but I need some help. I've just ordered an Audiovox SMT5600 (same as Orange SPV C500), and now I want to get a Bluetooth dongle to go with it.

First question, is this any good?

The specs look good, but it looks like it's a no name brand. The listing doesn't mention a model number or the chipset it uses.

Here's some more to choose from:

What do you think?
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

It's hard to say, they don't give ANY brand or chipset info.
            Generally, anything build with the Widcomm chipset will work great, no-name or not. Here's a driver page that shows a decent listing of dongles with those chipsets:
            Download WIDCOMM Drivers for Free to fix common driver related problems using step by step instructions.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have this one:

Seems to do a nice job: haven't had any connection loss with my mobile. Any range problem (i.e. 3 floors down is not possible) is most likely due to the fact that the mobile is not a class 1 bluetooth device.

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

Working...
              X