searching DOS emulator for XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• searching DOS emulator for XP

Are there any reliable DOS emulators for XP? Time from time I really want to play some of the ancient games again.

erm... you don't need any 'emultators' you just have to configure the game properly. What are you trying to run?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Not tried it, but had it recommended in the past.
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

XP is only compatible with 95 or 98, but not DOS. Very old games like "chaos engine" only run in a DOS eniviroment.

Comment

Isn't 'Denial Of Service' standard in XP (no need to emulate) ?

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

What GNEP said, but be aware that it's essentially a full-blown PC emulator. That means if you want to play something that really needed a Pentium or fast 486 in its day, you'd better have a nice fast contemporary box to run it on now.
            Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

@Ribbit: Yes, you're right. I read their information. The CPU speed goes only to 386. Do you know any modern emulators?

I took a look at their games list (Chaos Engine is included and should run well). Never realized that there were soooo many games already at that time. Many more new games came out every year than nowadays.

Comment

There was another DOS emulator out there for the PC, that was intended to make sound work in DOS, but it was really a DOS emulator...or something. Gurm posted about it.

Comment

Originally posted by chaoliang
                  @Ribbit: Yes, you're right. I read their information. The CPU speed goes only to 386. Do you know any modern emulators?
                  When they say "386" there, they're referring to the 32-bit protected mode, etc. that was introduced with the 386. Most games which needed a fast 486 or Pentium should run, but probably slowly unless you have a really fast machine.

The only other free emulator I know of is Bochs, which has much more complete CPU emulation. However, it will be harder to set up (no built-in DOS), run slower, and emulates less hardware (no Gravis Ultrasound, for example).

Kooldino - are you thinking of VDMSound?
                  Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Originally posted by Ribbit
                    Kooldino - are you thinking of VDMSound?
                    Yes, that's the one.

Comment

Working...
                    X