X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disk shredder

I have a hard disk to wipe - suggestions of software to use. free if poss
    hmmmmm

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

<A HREF="http://dban.sourceforge.net/">DBAN</A> is another one.

Comment

And if you want to use the computer normally while wiping data (I know I would ): Eraser

Comment

Grinding Wheel.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Autoclave (open source) for entire drive wiping - runs from floppy or bootable CD-ROM - 3-stage wipe takes 2 days or so.

There's a free tool from systeminternals.com for one file or free space wiping.

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
              Grinding Wheel.
              Remove hard disk platters, install them in said grinding wheel, and grind something with them (perhaps the rest of the drive).
              Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

If you have a copy of Ghost Corporate 8 where you're at, it has a full features data shredder called GDISK. It has a US government grade drive wiping tool ... and does all the standard FDISK style of functions as well.

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

so... can a low level format be recovered?
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

yes Paddy, it can in certain situations with good software
                    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

How? I thought that a low level format zero'd every sector on the disk. I don't understand how this could be undone...
                      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                        How? I thought that a low level format zero'd every sector on the disk. I don't understand how this could be undone...
                        Well didnt you know that data must be written over 7 times to be "gone"?? :P

Actually there are 2 sides of this tale:

One camp says that the data must be written over atleast 7 times.

The other says that one time is suficcient.

a notorius high amount of people in the first camp has ties to the military...

The other camp has a lot of representants from firms that works with recovering data...

Just for reference:
                        The number 7 is regarded as a "lucky" "magic" etc etc number in many cultures
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

And neither one of those is good enough. I've talked at length with a guy who writes data recovery/destruction software for a living. You have to work really low level to take care of data. Pushing beyond the data tracks, and doing lots of clearing patterns.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I can understand the if you simply zero the 'TOC', then all the data will still be on the disk. But if you overwrite the entire disk then how can this be undone? I take it that there is no 'memory effect'?

Just curious!

Comment

From Wombat's link:

Secure Harddisk Eraser gives a high security for non-recovery of the data. It does, however, not guarantee non-recovery. So if your data is top secret the best solution is to:
                              take out the platters of the harddisk
                              melt the platters at high temperature

Comment

Working...
                              X