Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DV codec problems

Hello,

I have and RT2500 with Premiere 6.0 and I've been trying include some screenshots as part of a movie I am making and the problem is that after exporting the final result in DV, the screenshots degrade badly in terms of quality (text can't be understood anymore).
    I have tried resizing and also cropping just a 720x576 section of picture with Photoshop but this doesn't solve the problem.
    Exporting the screenshots with a different computer with both Premiere 6.0 and Premiere Pro but without an RT card (exporting to Microsoft DV AVI) reveals the same problem.

Other clips on the timeline that were shot with a camera look ok, these include both clips shot with a digital camera and clips shot with an analog one, and then captured to DV.

After some testing I was able to get good quality if I created a custom project and set Microsoft Video 1 as the compression format but this way I'm not able to use the capabilities of the RT anymore. And also, if I take this clip in MS Video 1 format and I change it's codec with VirtualDub into DV (tried with the Mainconcept DV codec and the Matrox VFW software DV codec) the screenshots become of poor quality again.

What I would like to know is if this is a "normal" behaviour of the DV format or there is something wrong with my Premiere/RT2500 setup.
    One thing that is weird though, after I install the RT2500 drivers, all playback in Windows Media Player that is done using video overlay is of poor quality, similar to the problems I have with the captured screenshots.

Thank you all in advance,
    Tony
    nospam

The 4:1:1 colorspace of the DV codec is always problematic when you have high contrast color images (or text). Although the luminance show full horizontal resolution, the color difference channels only have 1/4 resolution. Actually, now I'm see that you're in PAL land so your DV colorspace is 4:2:0, but you still have the same colorspace limitations. As a test convert a bit of your video with text to black and white and see if it looks clearer.
    If that is the problem try to change the text font and color to one that works with the background better.

- Mark
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

Working...
    X