Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• widescreen holiday

hello everyone,

anyone willing to comment on some panorama-pics from my last holiday? I'm specially interested if you can spot the places where I had to work some gimp-magic on them... there are plenty of these spots, so plz point out what you find.

getting good pics was more difficult this time, going several thousand kmn south really makes a difference regarding light.. even with a polarizing filter you just can't get normal exposures, especially not 2000m above sea level. someone plz remind me not to try shooting panorama-pics of beaches again next time. I started hating waves at some point...

anyway, let's start with the heavily retouched ones:

not much to say, just a wiiiide beach.

same ocean, different coast, a tad more windy.

ah, tricky one. floor consists of different stones'n'staff, one big mosaic. makes sticking the pics together an interesting task.

the others were technically less challenging, what do you think?

thanks for having a look,
    wulfman
    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
    "Lobsters?"
    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
    "Oh yes, red means help!"

I think they are cool. esp the 'same ocean, different coast, a tad more windy'

Did you have to use a tripod for those?

Comment

nope, just stood there. took a deep breath and... voila.

[edit] speaking of technical stuff: nikon d70 + kit lens, the gimp, panorama tools, pt assembler, enblend.

mfg
      wulfman
      Last edited by Wulfman; 21 September 2004, 08:30.
      "Lobsters?"

Comment

Great pics I LOVE the windy one.

On first sight I don't spot that many obvious retouches. Smack in the middle of the first one, the wave is obvious, I think you had to retouch the sky because of the polarizer. No 2 seems to have different exposures left and right than in the middle (a bit brighter to the sides). Third one seems to have slightly off white balance where the third third starts (where the floor changes color to blue, it looks like the spiky bush also has a slight yellow hue at its far left side). Last two ones: The sky - may not be from the retouching, may be exposure, white balance, changes in the light or just me imagining things. Didn't look at the full res pics now, maybe later

All criticism aside: Great pics! I could never make pics as good as those, I'm only good at criticising other people

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
          I'm only good at criticising other people

AZ
          thanks, that's exactly what I need. no comments about the waves in the windy one?

if you are interested:

beach consists of 6 images
          windy sea - 4
          plaza - 4

clouds on mountain - 4
          trail on mountain - 4
          los muchachos - left part of a 7 pic panorama

mfg
          wulfman
          "Lobsters?"

Comment

wow
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Great job!

Just a small comment: on the first one (wiiiide beach), you see the sky alternating between dark and light blue.

Did you use an exposure lock?
              (AE-L/AE-F button, on my D100 I can set it to lock the exposure setting but not the focus; I doubt it would be different on a D70)

The other pictures don't seem to suffer from this however...

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

yes, I did lock the exposure - the problem is the polarizing filter I used...

mfg
                wulfman
                "Lobsters?"

Comment

Try a gaussian blur on the luminence channel for the first beach sky. Or maybe a diffusion blur masked to the cent of the image.

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfman
                    yes, I did lock the exposure - the problem is the polarizing filter I used...
                    Ha, I see...

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Wulfman, where were the pics taken?

Comment

La Palma, Canaries.

mfg
                        wulfman
                        "Lobsters?"

Comment

Working...
                        X