George is at it again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George is at it again!

We all thought that the version of the 3 first Starwars movies (4,5&6) released on DVD would be the 1997 Special edition, it isnt

George has done it again:
    5. Jedis don't scream

The 1997 special edition version of "The Empire Strikes Back" was changed so Luke wails as he jumps off the platform in Cloud City. In the only instance of Lucas undoing a later alteration (sadly, Greedo still shoots first on the DVD of "A New Hope"), he's taken it off the DVD edition. Maybe he realized Jedis (even ones in training) don't scream.

4. Boba Fett has a new voice

Since Boba Fett is a clone of Jango Fett, and Jango Fett is played by Temura Morrison, doesn't it make sense that he should sound like him, too? That's exactly what George Lucas thought, so Morrison was brought in to revoice the four lines of dialogue (yes, believe it or not there are only four!) Boba spoke in the original trilogy.

3. A new and improved Jabba

Remember that dodgy-looking computer-generated Jabba they inserted into the 1997 re-release of "A New Hope"? Well, he looks a little less dodgy this time around thanks to some improved CGI.

2. The emperor's new clothes

In the original version of "The Empire Strikes Back," the emperor Darth Vader speaks to via hologram was played by a woman in a mask (!) and voiced by Clive Revill. Again, in the interests of consistency, Ian McDiarmid -- who portrays the emperor in "Return of the Jedi" and the prequel trilogy -- now appears in that scene with an added line or two of dialogue.

1. The big finale

The 1997 special edition of "Return of the Jedi" added a few "Star Wars" worlds joining the celebration of the Empire's demise at the end of the film. For the DVD, they've added Naboo, a planet that figures prominently in the prequel trilogy. Also, Anakin Skywalker is noticeably different this time around. When he removes his Darth Vader helmet, he now has no eyebrows! It's probably safe to assume he singes them off in his battle with Obi-Wan Kenobi in next summer's "Return of the Sith" and a change had to be made.

But the most noticeable change -- and perhaps one some "Star Wars" diehards will have a tough time stomaching -- is Hayden Christensen (who plays young Anakin in the prequel trilogy) now appearing in the scene where the "force ghosts" of Anakin, Obi Wan, and Yoda smile at Luke. One thing's for sure, there's plenty for fans to debate -- that is, until the trilogy comes out yet again on another format in the future and Mr. Lucas makes his inevitable changes ...
    Mister Lucas seems to have a large case of "refining" sickeness

Source

His "Excuse"

Edit: added the links!
    And it's a shameless rip from /.
    Last edited by Technoid; 21 September 2004, 07:46.
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

To be fair to the intefering old perfectionist the rehashed scene with the emperor in Empire looks really good.

And I can forgive him a number of minor things (maybe not Hayden) considering how much better the legit DVDs look than the laserdisc ripped ones I bought a few years ago from the Far East.

Uberlad
    -------------------------
    8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
    5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

Argh you scared me with the title of this thread

To be fair to him why not? Apart from the last point with Hayden Christensen appearing I don't really have a problem with the changes...
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Bah, some things should just be left alone.
        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Interesting.

It's like a biblical redaction. Or maybe it's just like 1984 and he's going to burn every copy of filmstock that doesn't conform to his new vision.

Actually, come to think about it, there was a South Park episode about this very issue. (Too lazy to look it up.)
          Last edited by schmosef; 21 September 2004, 08:19.
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

It's the "Free Hat" episode. Hilarious because its true.

I'm not wasting my money on Lucas's Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. He's just become a self-important money-whore. I'm off to eBay to find laserdisks of the originals.

Kevin

Comment

Q: After "Episode III," will you ever revisit "Star Wars"?

LUCAS: Ultimately, I'm going to probably move it into television and let other people take it. I'm sort of preserving the feature film part for what has happened and never go there again, but I can go off into various offshoots and things.

You know, I've got offshoot novels, I've got offshoot comics. So it's very easy to say, "Well, OK, that's that genre, and I'll find a really talented person to take it and create it." Just like the comic books and the novels are somebody else's way of doing it. I don't mind that. Some of it might turn out to be pretty good. If I get the right people involved, it could be interesting.
              I wonder who he'll let make more Star Wars movies
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I'll wait for the six DVD box set

What's the ETA on the final film?
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Next summer last I heard.
                  Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Cheers matey
                    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

If it follows suit, it will come out mid-May 2005. Usually the Wednesday before the US Memorial Day weekend, which would be 26 May.
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin
                        Next summer last I heard.
                        Uh so there is oly going to be 5?
                        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by uberlad
                          ... And I can forgive him a number of minor things (maybe not Hayden) considering how much better the legit DVDs look than the laserdisc ripped ones I bought a few years ago from the Far East. ...
                          I have the original Star Wars on LD and in fact I was just recently given an unopened copy of same. Some of these LDs actually did become collector items like we had hoped while most have become obsolete.
                          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

See sig.

I have the CAV THX laserdiscs, but they aren't dolby digital. Being CAV, they also have more breaks, having 5 sides per movie. I just need some video-editing equipment so I can make them into DVDs and sell the patootie outta them.

Comment

law suit, law suit, law suit

Comment

Working...
                              X