Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k or WinXP

The age old question yet again!

With XP SP2 being out for a little while would it be worth upgrading to XP over 2k, does it now surpass it. Current rig is incredibly stable, in fact never goes down on me, would like to have the same with XP.

I do have a Hyper Threaded processer so would gain the ability to switch that on but is it worth it, I've seen online that XP is supposed to be slightly faster in games etc but in the 'real' world is this the case?

For info I spend most of my time in either phpED, Max, Eve Online or UT2k4.

(Even whilst working I have Eve Online in a Window - God that game is addictive )

I now prefer XP since more drivers are included by default (sound, NIC, ...), the only problem with XP is to turn the "user" features such as, simple file sharing, search puppy, cathegorized control panel and irsksome autoplay dialogue that pops when you insert optical drive off. You can also disable welcome screen and fast user switching and enforce CTRL+ALT+DEL and go clasic theme.

If you go XP, I recommend that you make a slipstreamed SP2 CD.

Appart from that, new Windows Firewall is now on by default and the OS will bother you with baloons, untill you turn on firewall, install antivirus and turn on automatic updates.

If you need a free working antivirus, I recommend Avast, as for firewall, I prefer Kerio, but I haven't yet botheret to check the new Firewall.

Comment

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
      You've got a stable system, if it serves your purposes I would leave it.

I have a few systems ranging from win98 to XP, and the only one that ever crapped out on me was my XP system - due to a corrupt system file. In my experience the win2k systems I have are the most solid.
      I did get that XP system back up BTW, with some help from Jammrock.
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

You can disable those popups in the security center.

Comment

If you're doing any video editing watch out for XP SP2. Some are reporting a bug that arises when writing large files.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
            You can disable those popups in the security center.
            You can, but XP keeps telling me about it's firewall no matter how many times i tell it not to!
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
              If it ain't broke don't fix it.
              You've got a stable system, if it serves your purposes I would leave it.

*SNIP*
              I agree with this statement 110%
              Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
              MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
              Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
              Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Tweaked XP Pro is best for gamers. 2K for business stuff if that's what you're already using.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                  If you're doing any video editing watch out for XP SP2. Some are reporting a bug that arises when writing large files.

Dr. Mordrid
                  You have any links for this?

Thanks,
                  Dave
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

OK, 2k it is then.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                      You can, but XP keeps telling me about it's firewall no matter how many times i tell it not to!
                      Not that it matters anymore but here's how. I did this on a family member's XP Pro machine.

Comment

Yup, I've done that but it still alerts me whenever i reboot.
                        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                        X