Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garbled Video ... mobo, power, or video card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garbled Video ... mobo, power, or video card?

Just trying to get a consensus here. I'm building a system for my friend. It was working fine until I messed up on something and had to reset the system improperly. Ever since then the video has been garbled most of the time. Every once in a while it'll kick in and work right for 4-5 minutes, and then go garbled again.

Configuration:

Soyo Dragon 2 V1.0 (Intel 865PE)
    P4 2.8 GHz, 800 MHz fsb
    512 MB Corsair RAM
    2 x HDDs, 200 GB Seagate, 20 GB WD
    DVD-RW
    ATi Radeon 9600XT 128 MB
    CoolerMaster 350 W power supply in a Centurion 5 case.
    120 mm and 80 mm case fans

I know it's not the monitor, I double checked that. I didn't see any blown caps anywhere. My online reading at Sapphiretech.com points to not enough power, but is it the mobo not supplying enough, or the power supply? I would think a 350 W would be enough to power it all...

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to pull the video card out and plug it into my system with a 605 W power supply.

What's the general concensus among the MURCers?

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I wouldn't jump at the power supply unless the rails were all over the place. You do have some power hungry kit in there though...

Are the rails running where they should? I forget exactly what tollerance you should allow, but my old PSU was regularly showing +/- 0.01 - 0.5V out !
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Sounds like a damaged VGA card to me though. You don't have another one lying around?

Comment

i agree on the not enough juice assesment
        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

I've pondered the busted board part. I'm going to throw the video card in my system tonight. That will narrow down whether it's the video card or something in his system.

I've heard of motherboards not being able to push enough juice to the video card before (thus many of the uber high-end jobs come with molex connectors), so I was wondering if anyone had a Soyo board and some experience...

hmmm... looks like I'll definately have to toss it into my system tonight.

Jammrock

Comment

I thought that the 9600XT does not require additional power. If the MB is getting power properly then the AGP bus should provide the video card with what it needs. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall using a power connector on my cousins 9600XT card when I installed it for him.

Edit : typo
            Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
            MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
            Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
            Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

I would say not enough juice.
              "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

9600XT doesn't have the extra molex. Still seems to be a power hog though.

Comment

I suddenly feel so out of touch. I was researching the issue (didn't have a chance to swap the card last night) and read that you need at least 17A on the +12V power rail to properly power a 9600XT ... and all the other 12V stuff of course. I looked up the specs on the 350 W Cooler Master and it only goes to 16A max

I'll verify this tonight by putting the 9600XT in my system (20A+ on the 12V power rail) and testing it.

At least a good Antec 430W true power supply only runs $70 and packs 20A max on the +12V rail.

Jammrock

Comment

And the answer is ... video card. Cam eup garbled on my computer, too.

Jammrock

Comment

maybe the HSF on the unit doesn't make proper contact with the core.

I've seen the same thing happening with 9700 Pro cards, with garbled video as well. In most cases there was no permanent damage and the problem disappeared after applying some extra thermal compound between the core and the heatsink. Check if that's possible without breaking any seal or anything that voids the warranty.

Comment

Working...
                      X