Career advice..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career advice..

Seeing as some of you guys are working in IT.. What qualifications do you think are most worthwhile getting?

Currently almost finished my CCNA (christmas). What Microsoft qualifications / etc. Would be good to get for employment as in the short term to be a network administrator. Then hopefully move into the field of computer security / consultancy.

Not sure whether to do CCNP the while cisco thing or start doing MCSE / MCSA / ISA.

There's more money in Cisco, but it's more work to get "good at it". If you're just getting started, the microsoft certs are dead easy, so there's no reason to not get at least your MCSE.

If you're looking to get into security, the CISSP is pretty much the standard cert that people look for (Certified Information Systems Security Professional).
    Last edited by agallag; 19 September 2004, 09:26.
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

The Cisco rout seems to be a better generic rout (more employers seem to want it). If you are going in to security have you started learning to program in C and C++? Also I would look in to getting a Linux or MS server cert (both is best). If you are looking for a corporate job you might think about going the Linux rout as it seems to be used a lot for networking.

Originally posted by agallag
      There's more money in Cisco, but it's more work to get "good at it". If you're just getting started, the microsoft certs are dead easy, so there's no reason to not get at least your MCSE.

If you're looking to get into security, the CISSP is pretty much the standard cert that people look for (Certified Information Systems Security Professional).
      I totally agree with agallag, but the more you focus on one area the better you will get at it. If you have the time get it all otherwise go for the Cisco stuff.

My 2cents...
      Last edited by Duty; 20 September 2004, 17:09.
      -We stop learning when We die, and some
      people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
      Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
      - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
      - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

How about accountancy? It's really interesting at times!
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Yeah, as in when you get of work.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Hehe...

Actually being serious, combining IT with something else (eg finance-related) can be v. v. useful and open the door to some pretty decent-paying jobs.
            DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Aye!

Reminds me of someone I know pretty well
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
              X