LCD screens: 1x2001FP or 2xVP171B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD screens: 1x2001FP or 2xVP171B

So, I have a space in the new flat that would perfectly suit a flat panel monitor or two.

So: do I go for 1 Dell 2001FP for £710 shipped incl VAT, or 2 Viewsonic VP171B screens for around about £660 shipped incl. VAT?

Not quite sure myself... I am very used to at least dual screen fun, but I do like the look of that Dell... and could keep 1 CRT in the same place on a diagonal without it looking too odd...

Also is there anywhere in the UK you suggest I can get them from significantly cheaper?

Or something else entirely? Any other 17" recommendations warmly received

TIA

George
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

I have a 2001FP and would whole-heartedly recommend it for the sole purpose of leaving you the option of buying a 2nd one in the future.

Comment

I love my 2xVP171B's... they are really, really nice in a dual monitor configuration
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

so the consensus is...

Comment

You seem like the person who can use display realestate, has desktop realestate and also as the person who can afford 2 20"'s.

Comment

2 20"s... hmmm might have to wait and see whether an upcoming bonus comes in the form of time off in leiu or cash... (well I have been putting in 16 hour days 7 days a week for the last 3 weeks)

Thanks for the confirmations that these are nice panels DGhost and isochar...

So I take it the consensus is at least that of the 17"s available, VP171Bs are a good bet, and the 2001FB is a good choice for a 20"?

Comment

that was the concensus that I reached when I bought these back in Feb. At the time I was seriously pondering getting 2x 2001FP's, but couldn't afford to do it. the 1600x1200 resolution would have been reeaaallly nice

in the 17" arena, there are LCD's that people claim are better than the VP171's, however most are a bit more expensive and can be quite a bit harder to lay your hands on. that being said, it also doesn't seem that there is consistant positive feedback on those monitors....

the biggest problem I found was finding a decent graphics card that can do dual DVI
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

i got my 2001FP around january last year from ebay, 535 pounds delivred,brand new from a guy in america with username ncgdk2 , bought twice from him and he is as good as gold as a seller . It has 2 dead pixels, a seller called ericbunny used to sell them with guarantees of no dead pixels for under 600 but im not sure if he is still offering this or not, amazing screen, could not live with anything smaller now. Check ebay for deals as its will definately save you at least 200 pounds.
                is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Thanks borat - how was shipping and duties on the import from the states?

quick edit: and warranty???

Comment

the VP201b also uses the same panel as the FP2001b i think (so its another option if you can get it cheap),

btw it depends on the your usage, do you really need two monitors? if not the FP2001b or the VP201b would be the better choice... if later you require another monitor you could buy again.
                    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                      Thanks borat - how was shipping and duties on the import from the states?

quick edit: and warranty???
                      the first sceen i bought from him came over for 535, including shipping, i got the second for 525 although customs did pick this up and charge me an additional 25 pounds on top of that, still a bargain, as for warranty its claimed as 3 years but im betting that dell UK would tell me where to stick it if it ever developed a fault, touch wood its caused me no problems thus far, if you buy from a UK seller then i would assume the warranty is still fully intact and there are a fair few "UK ebayers with them for under 600 pounds last time i checked.
                      is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                      Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Originally posted by Belwarrior
                        the VP201b also uses the same panel as the FP2001b i think (so its another option if you can get it cheap)
                        Sure does, it's a LG/Philips panel

From the reviews around the net that I've read the Dell's can be very inconsistent i.e. some people get a good one others get not so good ones. I haven't seen a bad review for the Viewsonic VP201B's and having seen one myself I'd say definitely go for that
                        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Hmmm will have to look into the VP201B... I do have to say the monitor is the one bit of computer kit I don't mind spending some money on - and I haven't regretted that approach in the past

Any good supplier suggestions? UK Web or London based (wouldn't mind seeing the actual panel I'm buying in action first despite the price differential)

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                            Any good supplier suggestions? UK Web or London based (wouldn't mind seeing the actual panel I'm buying in action first despite the price differential)
                            My mate bought his from a company in Wandsworth, I'll try and get their name and address for you.
                            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

These people are listed on the Where to buy page of Viewsonics site and are in Wandsworth, so I guess it must be them

Number One Services Ltd

1 Podmore Road
                              Wandsworth
                              London
                              SW18 1AJ

T: 020 8874 7111
                              F: 020 8870 8419
                              E: buyer@number-one.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X