Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun's new filesystem - ZFS

Wondering what you guys think.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Who has actually used solaris?

Comment

I have, but I don't like it. It's great if you've got an eternity to set it up, and never want to touch it again.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Solaris is by far the WORST Unix OS out there. Plus Suns hardware is junk too. We've got TONS of Solaris crap at work, and even our Sun admins/techs hate it. AIX kicks its ass.
        Bart

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff
          We have it at work. It's pretty solid either way.

All operations are also copy-on-write. Live data is never overwritten. ZFS writes data to a new block before changing the data pointers and committing the write.
          That's awesome, and LONG overdue.
          Last edited by Kooldino; 19 September 2004, 20:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino

That's awesome, and LONG overdue.
            What do you mean long overdue? ZFS certainly isn't the first file system to do this. Operating systems have had this for years.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff
              My school's CS department uses Solaris. All I do is ssh into them and check my email though.
              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                What do you mean long overdue? ZFS certainly isn't the first file system to do this. Operating systems have had this for years.
                Well, even as of a few years ago, I've lost data during a disk fail in the middle of a move. Since then I copy the data and then delete.

Comment

I've setup Solaris on a few low-end Ultras, and attempted to do it on x86, but gave up once I got the SPARC boxes.

As for using it as a workstation, I don't, that's what Win2k/x86 is for

(enter Linux bunnies...)
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Originally posted by Pace
                      I've setup Solaris on a few low-end Ultras, and attempted to do it on x86, but gave up once I got the SPARC boxes.

As for using it as a workstation, I don't, that's what Win2k/x86 is for

(enter Linux bunnies...)
                      Solaris x86 was poor last I tried it (3 years back)

Comment

Working...
                      X