Road safety come on Government tackle this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road safety come on Government tackle this

PC crowd and the Government go on and on about speed. However there is another danger that no one seems to consider.

The red light hoppers. I don't know whether this is a problem that is particularly bad in Sheffield or is a growing problem nationwide.

It seems in Sheffield that red lights are optional. You can drive through them when you like. You can creep through at low speed. You can stop and then decide to go seconds later. You go through at high speed.

I had one driver wondering why, when I was half way across the road that I was looking rather annoyed as he drove through the 2nd row of red lights.

I mean he didn't get far as a minute later I was able to mouth at him Red Light as I walked past when he looked across. Even better he then drove through yet another red light slowing to give me two fingers.

Although I hate cameras it's time more were introduced to take these tossiers of the road.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Unfortuantely, I agree. I'e seen way too many people go speeding through and there is unfortunately no other way to track and fine these ****ers.

Comment

A lot of these aren't speeding through they just don't want to wait.

In most cases they're just going onto an end of another queue. So why drive through????

I had one barsteward who dived through the crossing as I started to cross. His totally progress was about four feet but he had hit the accelerator and then slam the brakes on to avoid the standing car in front.

Being nice I slapped the car with my hand which scared him shitless as he thought he'd hit me. we then traded insults for the next 1/4 mile as the jam crawled along. What a brain dead.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

We have many cams that check for both speed as driving through red traffic lights
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I'm sure where I live we have cameras specifically to catch this.
          Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

I think that such cameras are a good thing. I heard we were getting a few downtown, not sure the status.

There would be a lot less unnecessary injury and death if people just followed the rules of the road. That includes driving at the appropriate speed and signaling before a lane change.

When I first got my license, I was always amazed at how often I noticed people not signaling before a lane change. I don't notice it too much now. I'm not sure if it's just because I've gotten used to it or if people are better drivers.
            P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I think they're still doing a trial of red light cameras in Toronto. There's one at Allen Rd. and Sheppard for sure. I don't know if they've put any in the downtown core yet, but they should.

They should also bring back photo radar, but not on the highway. Put them in school zones and residential areas where speeding is a real danger. On the highway they cause more accidents than they prevent. I saw too many people panic and slam on their brakes when passing the camera vans, back when we had photo radar on the highway.

Oh, and there are still plently of people who don't signal their lane changes. I personally honked at three of them so far this week
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Many red lights here have cameraboxes... The cities put more cameraboxes, but don't have sufficient cameras to fill them all. The cameras are moved regularly, so when you approach a crossing, you see the box, but you don't know whether or not there is a camera inside it.

I'm also annoyed by the aggresive drivingstyle by many drivers. Just a few days ago, a guy past me on a highway offramp (speed was 90 kph). But his car didn't accellerate fast enough, so to avoid going back on the highway (the onramp is after the offramp) he just swerved to the right (if I hadn't braked he would literaly have driven me of the road).
                Man, at times like that you really wish you could put a blue flashlight on your car and pull the guy over...

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Most of Camera's in Sheffield are turned off 99% of the time. 99% of lights don't have them.

I think they should be standard at crossings anyway.

The popular speed camera's are normally running of course.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Do you also have combination cameras?
                    On some places here, there are cameras at red lights; but if you are speeding (even through a green light), it also snaps a picture...

There is a lot of talk now about moving to digital cameras, as replacing the film is time consuming (and if the film is full, it renders the camera useless for quite a while). This need is increased, as I believe they now are required to make 2 photographs of a speeding car; as to allow his/her speed to be calculated afterwards.

Jörg
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Nope no combination cameras. Theres digital cameras for speeding though.
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

2 photographs? RIdiculous...must be a *belgian* thing LOL
                        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

2 photographs? Ridiculous...must be a *belgian* thing LOL
                          Nope they do it here too. You get a double flash (at least from the older GATSO style cameras) which takes two photos 0.2 seconds apart. That way you can manually calculate the speed of the driver by measuring the distance traveled.

The newer forward facing cameras have infrared flashes so that they don't blind the offending driver.

The clever cameras are the ones mounted on a red backboard. These read your number plate and time stamp it. When you pass another one a few miles up the road they do it again. This solves the problem of people just breaking 10M from the camera and then speeding up again.

I wonder who long you are allowed to keep this data? I have only seen these newer digital cameras on the M6 and they were ~2miles apart. Theoretically you could have them at every other junction - that would be a bitch! I guess it would make tracking stolen cars easier for big brother....
                          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Anecdotally, Top Gear found that if you drove past a speed camera faster than 176MPH (IIRC) then you can avoid getting a ticket as by the time the second flash goes off you will have already moved out of the FOV!

I only remember because the car they used was a TVR Tuscan and my mate at work has one.
                            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I guess I need a faster clio then.
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X