Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Access denied" to shared printer (XP SP2?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Access denied" to shared printer (XP SP2?)

On an XP network, an Epson colour laser is attached to an Xp Pro machine with SP2. Now a particular laptop (I think pre-SP2) cannot print, getting 'Access denied', and he's also having problems connecting to certain network shares. Turning off the built-in firewall on both machines doesn't help.

I think this problem has occurred since installing SP2. Strangely the PC with the attached laser printer can print to an inkjet attached to another SP2 PC.

Any clues please?

TIA
    Last edited by Fat Tone; 14 September 2004, 02:18.
    FT.

hmm,

that's definitely a blind shot, but try to ports 135 and 445. I checked some sites for connection problems and most of them suggested to open these ports when "access denied" problems show up.

Installing SP2 on the laptop is not an option?

Rakido
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

<s>Check the firewall settings (SP2).
      By default, Microsoft turns the firewall on, but blocks file and printer sharing. </s>
      I really should read a post completely...

Is the DNS on that laptop configured correctly ?
      (try to ping the computers you can't access, once via name, and once via IP: if the former doesn't work, and the latter does, it has to do with the DNS).

Jörg
      Last edited by VJ; 14 September 2004, 05:33.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Are you trying to connect with a user account, or guest? Not only is the guest account disabled by default, but there's also a local security policy by default that denies the guest account access over the network.

Admin tools/Local Security Policy

Security Settings/Local Policy/User rights assignment

Check these two settings:
        "Access this computer from the network"
        and
        "Deny access to this computer from the network"

The guest account (or whatever account you're using) should be added to the first one, and removed from the second one.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like a Policy problem. Here's his reply:

(In this situation home means the network I refer to above, and I'm not sure what he mean by Z - most likely its a share on their server)

"We recently had a new server installed at work together with Windows Server 2003. I have also had SP2 put on my laptop.

Normally when I get home my work files are accessed through my Z drive. However I no longer get my Z drive files when I log on at home.

It appears that I can no longer connect to my network at home. Although I can receive emails, I cannot connect to my LAN or print from printers connected to my home network.

I have checked the new firewall on my laptop. There is a message there which stops me from disabling the firewall. It says ' For your security some settings are controlled by Group Policy'.

I have also tried to map my network drive, but I get a message saying I do not have access rights.

I cannot help but think that if the firewall was disabled my laptop could talk to my home network."
          FT.

Comment

There is a setting, but I can't remember how to get to it. I think it is in Tools, Options. It's called soemthing like "simplified sharing". I had a printer problem once and I had fooled around iwth this setting and it was turned off. Turn simplified sharing back on. Or, I could be totally wrong

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Who administers his work domain? If he can't turn off the firewall due to group policy settings, he'll have to talk to the admins that created that policy. There's no way around group policy settings.

However, the XP firewall won't prevent you from connecting to another network, it will only prevent other people connecting to you. It sounds like the admins of his network have set some other policies to prevent mapping to network resources outside of the domain.

It could also be that they've made NTLMv2 mandatory. In that case, enabling NTLMv2 on the other machines on his home network would get him in. NTLMv2 is not enabled by default on XP.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
              X