Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with english terms

Hi guys.
    Me and my girlfriend are about to go live together, so we need to start looking and things to buy for the house -dishes, glasses, sheets, carpets and so on.

Just to try to save a little bit, as this is only a temporary solution, I was looking at Amazon to see if there is something interesting. But...I don't understand a single word of it!!!
    It's full of kitchenware, bathware, dishware, sheetware...holy cow!

So, I need a bit of help with terms. Most of them I can find on babelfish, most of them I know by myself, but...
    1) How do you call a group of pots of different types, bundled together in a single article? (I'd say a set of pot, but who knows?)

2) How do you call the same, but for dishes + glasses + the things you use for cut/eat the food?

3) Why a man feels the need to do such idiots things, instead to go ride with his motorcycle?

Thx all
    Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Two terms that might help:

Knives, forks, spoons, etc. -> Cutlery.
    Plates, bowls, dishes, cups, mugs (but not glasses) -> crockery.
    Blah blah blah nick blah blah confusion, blah blah blah blah frog.

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzt
      Hi guys.
      1) How do you call a group of pots of different types, bundled together in a single article? (I'd say a set of pot, but who knows?)

2) How do you call the same, but for dishes + glasses + the things you use for cut/eat the food?

3) Why a man feels the need to do such idiots things, instead to go ride with his motorcycle?
      1) Pottery?

2) tableware

3) Wimp!

Rakido
      "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

1 & 2, I dont know, each region is different.
        3 where I come from is called 'House trained'
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Look around for a 'cookware set' for a bunch of pans/pots bundled together.

Look for 'flatware' for knife/fork/spoon etc sets.

For normal plates try 'earthenware' or 'stoneware' set. I don't think glasses are called anything strange.

Regarding number 3, maybe you'll get some for doing all of this!

Comment

3. pussy whipped
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Like Greebe said

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by rylan

Look for 'flatware' for knife/fork/spoon etc sets.
                Flatware can also mean plastic Knife,fork and spoon sets....try Silverware
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

1 - cookware set /pot set
                  2 - place settings
                  3 - see Greebe
                  Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

ROTFL
                    "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                      3. pussy whipped
                      What better thing to be whipped with?
                      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

3: Take it easy. There is also some fun in it. Your girlfriend will definately love you more if you help her with these ridiculous things.

Comment

Working...
                        X