Waiting on 1080p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting on 1080p

I've been waiting for the new 1080p RPTVs to replace my 18 y.o. Mits 45" CRT RPTV. Samsung demoed their xHD3 1080p DLP at CES in January (behind closed doors) and was rumoured to deliver the set to market in November. Now the word is in the first hafl of '05. Sony just made a huge splash with their 1080p LCOS set at CEDIA and the few who saw this display said it blows the 1080p DLP out of the water (for quite a few more dollars, roughly $10K vs. $6.5K). The Samsung 1080p is a 61" DLP RPTV vs. the Sony is a 70" LCOS RPTV. I need to get the dimensions of this set but its looking like a real contender for me now that everyone else is holding off on delivering their 1080p sets. The Sony should ship by Jan-05, Feb at the latest (we hope). Might still go FP but this baby is being compared to $60K FPs. I don't know if I can hold off any longer for something cheaper or a little smaller because I's gots to have my 1080p.

Check out the new 1080p Sony Grand Wega V ...
    Last edited by xortam; 14 September 2004, 01:11.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Check out the new 52" and 62" Mitsubishi MicroDisplays. Very nice picture with accurate colors. We've already sold a few, the first being to a buddy of mine who is using it as a computer monitor as well! (No burn-in with the DLP)

Comment

Very unimpressed with the Mits DLPs ... check out the Toshiba. My neighbor just got the Samsung "Capt. Kirk" delivered yesterday ... 7-segment wheel w/ HD2 PLUS DMD. These Sammy's are the best DLP RPTVs at the moment, but still not good enough for me.

The Sony SXRD has no color wheel so no chance of rainbows (only seen once in all my DLP viewing anyway) and no noise from the wheel; Its a 3-chip solution. Check out the AVS thread on this wonder.
      Last edited by xortam; 14 September 2004, 01:06.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

You probably viewed substandard source material or had the TV set up wrong. Having set up and watched both the Mits and the Samsung, I can tell you the Mits is a better TV. It also has NetCommand which is an addictive feature once you use it for awhile.

Edit: Actually, that was an older Samsung.. this one might be better. The Mits has the 7segment wheel and I believe HD2+
        Last edited by KvHagedorn; 18 September 2004, 11:34.

Comment

At the risk of sounding ignorant, I want to know why you guys are only discussing RPTV and DLP screens for 1080P, Sharp has a new 45 inch 1080P LCD that just came out.

Sharp LC-45GX6U

Granted it will probably be $10K right now, in a year or so it will be down to $6K or less I hope...
          Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
          MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
          Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
          Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
            You probably viewed substandard source material or had the TV set up wrong. Having set up and watched both the Mits and the Samsung, I can tell you the Mits is a better TV. It also has NetCommand which is an addictive feature once you use it for awhile.

Edit: Actually, that was an older Samsung.. this one might be better. The Mits has the 7segment wheel and I believe HD2+
            Which TV set up wrong? I was driving the Sammy with my HTPC ATSC 1080i HD recording of the Olympics, driven through DVI-D. The lamp only had maybe 30 minutes on it. The Mits was a Best Buy demo but I was comparing it to others on the same feed. I haven't spent much time in front of the new models yet (waiting on 1080p ) but they're still not up to snuff from what I've seen; better than last year, but still not good enough.

Originally posted by mmp121
            At the risk of sounding ignorant, I want to know why you guys are only discussing RPTV and DLP screens for 1080P, Sharp has a new 45 inch 1080P LCD that just came out ...
            For one thing, 45" is too small for my needs (need 60"+). Secondly, the contrast ratio on the Sharp is only 800:1 ... way too low. Its too small to be a contender so I wouldn't even give it a viewing.

Comment

The Mits was a Best Buy demo but I was comparing it to others on the same feed.
              Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                Nuff said.
                Yes ... not a good demo environ, but I'm also judging by the general consensus on AVS. I'll give the Mits a proper demo in time, just so I can rank it fairly among the current crop. I don't expect much difference from what I've seen so far. How many different RP DLPs have you auditioned/viewed? Have you seen the Loewe? DLP eliminates a lot of problems but it raises a few new ones and its still plagued by dithering, texturing, and visible pixel structure. I'm waiting on 1080p.

Comment

Well... heh.. you could get the 82" Mitsubishi LCOS.. that's 1080p.

I didn't really like the first generation of that though.. saw it before it was announced at a Mitsubishi line show. The blacks weren't really black enough, looked a bit grainy (which is a fault of every DLP or LCD when viewed up close.) Wouldn't pay that much for the thing myself, though.. even if I had the room and money to burn.

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
                    For one thing, 45" is too small for my needs (need 60"+). Secondly, the contrast ratio on the Sharp is only 800:1 ... way too low. Its too small to be a contender so I wouldn't even give it a viewing.
                    Come on, who needs 60"!
                    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                      Come on, who needs 60"!
                      Screen size is determined by resolution, viewing angle, and sitting distance. I need roughly a 66" screen size for a theatre experience at my current viewing distance of 11 feet while watching a 1080i display. A 1080p display would allow for even closer viewing distances or a larger display. I'm limited in my seating positions and the TV will land up in front of our front window (as the Mits 45" CRT RPTV sits now). The 61" Samsung would just fit our space but I don't have the dimensions on the Sony yet (except its pretty deep and nearly 25"). The Sony can shed its side speakers so that will help me with placement of my KEF side center speakers.
                      Last edited by xortam; 19 September 2004, 23:25.

Comment

Exactly ... 60" is too small. Get a projector and a good 120" screen.

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

or knock a hole in that wall and do rear screen projection
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

you guys!
                            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                              or knock a hole in that wall and do rear screen projection
                              Actually, I've been considering knocking a hole in the back wall and installing a projector window. I'm not crazy about FP because of the extra installation work and the need to drop a screen to watch TV but it is nice for freeing up the space when not watching TV. The 1080p RPTVs are a step up from most FPs until you get above $30K so a $10K 70" LCOS isn't such a bad deal any more. I was looking at about $10K to install a DLP FP with a long-throw lens, a projection window, and a good screen which would Velcro shut over the front window alcove.

Comment

Working...
                              X