Who is the new SUPERMAN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is the new SUPERMAN?

Mark Millar is a comic writer extraordinare with lots of inside connections. He has also written a rather subversive new Superman grahpic novel called "Superman: Red Son" for Titan;

Millar also has a website where he moderates a discussion forum. Here is a post he put up Aug. 30, 2004;

You remember I told you to relax about Superman? That a very, very trusted and experienced director we'd all love was coming over? That McG was just a blip? That everything would be fine?

Well, my same good buddy has informed me that, as of last Thursday night, Mister Jim Caviezel (note: Jesus in "Passion of the Christ") is officially the new man of steel and what a perfect choice he is. Expect an announcement shortly.

Also, this Superman Returns thing was just for the press release. The movie itself is called SUPERMAN (Reeve's was called SUPERMAN THE MOVIE) and it's starting everything from scratch. Brainiac. Krypton. Robots. Alien super-cities. There's so much we can do now that they couldn't in 78. I cannot WAIT for this.
    HOWEVER....

MTV had this up on their site on Aug 11, 2004

'Smallville' star rumored to be playing Superman on the big screen.

"Smallville" star Tom Welling told reporters at Sunday's Teen Choice Awards that he's signed on for a movie but is not allowed to discuss it, fueling rumors that he will star in "X-Men" director Bryan Singer's new Superman movie. "I'm sworn to secrecy," Welling said with a smile. "It's too early." A spokesperson for Warner Bros. said the role has not yet been cast. Welling, in the meantime, will continue playing Clark Kent on the small screen. "We have a couple new characters [this season]," he said. "Lois Lane will be visiting Smallville, which keeps things interesting for Clark. ... And Clark isn't necessarily earthbound this season.
    http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/artic...04/story.jhtml

IMO Caviezel is too old if the storyline is to take place as Clark Kent graduates college. IF, however, the storyline picks up where the Chris Reeve movies left off he could work out.

IF on the other hand the storyline picks up after Clark graduates college Welling could work out. He has a fan base already in place having played Clark/Sups for 3 seasons going on 4 plus the series is supposed to end as he leaves for college. He also has the square-jawed look one would expect.

OK guys....whatcha think?

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 September 2004, 23:38.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Tom Welling definitely looks more like Superman in my mind. Caviezel is talented and I think he could do a good job. Does really depend on the time frame of the movie. It also depends on which storyline they go with. As well all know, "Smallville" has made some major changes in the whole Superman mythology.

Just hoping this and the new Batman movie can inject some long overdue life into two great franchises (not that "Smallville" already hasn't to a degree).
    Last edited by Jessterw; 11 September 2004, 03:56.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
    X