Windows Networking WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Networking WTF?

I have a SAMBA server (called Winchester) and we all connect to it here at work. It requires a route to get to it, and other than that it's pretty straightfoward.

One of the people in my group can connect to it, but any file copy SEEMS to take forever (a 300K file takes 2 minutes). Meanwhile, it takes 4 seconds for me.

I've noticed, though, that the file is finished copying awhile before windows explorer says so, because if i check the file in DOS, it will be completely there significantly before the file copy progress bar reaches 100%.

To diagnose the problem, I've tried about everything.

-Installed SP2 and windows updates

-Disable all software

-tried safe mode

-tried logging into his machine on my account (with the same results)

-checked all network configs (adding WINS servers certainly helped initial access times)

-checked route tables

I'm gonna throw a knoppix CD in there next and add the necessary route just to see if it's hardware related or not. But other than that, any ideas??

Network card have you tried another??

When you open my computer do all the drives show striaght away or does the miners lamp come on???

Have you checked the event viewer????
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Maybe its as simple as a bad cable to his PC?
      Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
      MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
      Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
      Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Do a route print and post a working vs. non-working routing table.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
          Network card have you tried another??
          I have not yet tried another network card.

When you open my computer do all the drives show striaght away or does the miners lamp come on???
          It comes up fast.

Have you checked the event viewer????
          No...what should i be looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by mmp121
            Possibly, but everything else network related works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mmp121
              This gets my vote. Also, it could be a duplex mismatch issue. Everyone just assmues that network cards autonegotiate without any problems, but the turth is, a lot of the times, they don't negotiate properly. I would manually set both ends.

Why don't you do an extended ping and see if you get any errors or dropped packets. Also, I can't remember if windows networking is using TCP or UDP. If it is using TCP and you have bad hardware, that could explain the weird delays. Why? Well, TCP may had to retransmit if you are getting dropped packets. Where as UDP just sends all the packets and doesn't care if it loses any.
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I'll try an extended ping. Previously, I just tried pinking with ~16K packets.

BTW, one more peice of info...

"winchester" is in the hosts file and resolves to the proper IP.

if I "ping winchester", it goes fine.

if i run "\\winchester", it doesn't know who winchester is.

if i run \\*winchesters ip* then it works.

Comment

hmm, smells like a DNS issue or a routing problem getting to DNS. Maybe trying to resolve the name, not finding the DNS/WINS server and then timing out and using the IP as a backup?
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

What happens in you ping the WINS or DNS server by name and IP? Do a trace route to those machines.

Comment

what kind of NIC is it? I know if you use the older 3com, and some other nics, the media type in the drivers is set to Hardware Default (100 Mb, Half Duplex) which causes problems on a lot of managed networks. So I'd check the NIC settings and make sure the Media Type is set to Auto Select

(Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Mangler -> NIC -> Advanced -> etc..)

Jammrock
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                        So I'd check the NIC settings and make sure the Media Type is set to Auto Select
                        Jammrock
                        Personally, I'd never use Auto. I would always hard set the speed and duplex on both sides.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                          What happens in you ping the WINS or DNS server by name and IP? Do a trace route to those machines.
                          I don't know the name of the WINS or DNS servers, but I can certainly try tracing and pinging their IPs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                            what kind of NIC is it? I know if you use the older 3com, and some other nics, the media type in the drivers is set to Hardware Default (100 Mb, Half Duplex) which causes problems on a lot of managed networks. So I'd check the NIC settings and make sure the Media Type is set to Auto Select

(Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Mangler -> NIC -> Advanced -> etc..)

Jammrock
                            I'll check that. But it is a 2 year old "high end" Gateway machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                              Personally, I'd never use Auto. I would always hard set the speed and duplex on both sides.

Dave
                              Full duplex, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X