Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truth or Myth: lcd at non-native rez damages it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truth or Myth: lcd at non-native rez damages it?

I've ALWAYS heard that if you run an LCD Monitor at a resolution other than it's native resolution that it will damage it. This of course doesn't count for rez's in the same scope (ie 800x600 runs fine on a 1600x1200 screen). However I've been googling like crazy and either I got hit with the inabillity to google today or there isn't any hard evidence about this.

Do any of you have any linkable 'proof' or experience that running a 1280x1024 screen at 1024x768 will damage it I will love to see it. I know that it looks fuzzy and it drives ME crazy, but I have users that prefer it. So call it piece of mind but if it doesn't shorten the lcd's lifespan and just makes it look fuzzy I'll wipe my hand of it.

Also, was this more of an issue with older lcd's but now is moot?

Thanks all.
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

I highly doubt that it would damage the display. The reason why people like running LCDs at the native resolution is pure picture quality. At any resolution besides native the image quality degridates... you get the point.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Don't worry about T&R on an LCD ... worry about browning and stuck/dead pixels instead.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
        I highly doubt that it would damage the display. The reason why people like running LCDs at the native resolution is pure picture quality. At any resolution besides native the image quality degridates... you get the point.
        I concur: I also doubt it would damage the display: electronics in the LCD first scale the image to the native resolution, for the LCD panel it is like an image at native resolution. This scaling causes the image degradation.

Some LCDs (mainly older ones) allowed you to turn off the scaling, which resulted in a small image with borders (if the resolution was lower than the native one). However, image quality was as good as at the native resolution.

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Lower resolutions won't have any adverse effect on LCD lifespan (the electronics do the scaling, the panel is fed its native resolution) - HIGHER resolutions or refresh rates MIGHT shorten the electronics lifespan unnoticeably, but will most likely just not be displayed. With modern displays (CRT or LCD), the rule of thumb is: If it is displayed, you're fine, if it isn't, you're probably still fine, we aren't in the "good old days" anymore where you could easily fry the electronics with too high a pixel clock rate.

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
            With modern displays (CRT or LCD), the rule of thumb is: If it is displayed, you're fine, if it isn't, you're probably still fine, we aren't in the "good old days" anymore where you could easily fry the electronics with too high a pixel clock rate.
            I don't entirely agree... I can address my 17" CRT at 1800x1600 , but it can hardly be good (image is unstable, high pitched tone sounds, ...). Oddly enough, it does show out of range values if the pixelclock is too high; apparently they did let some things through...
            (I should mention that this CRT is a top range Philips from 6-8 years or so ago, it has a recommended resolution of 1280x1024 and a max. specified resolution of 1600x1200).

I did destroy a monitor once, after installing X-window (but that was quite some time ago). Somehow, X-windows incorrectly determined the pixelclock, and allthough I had only chosen 640x480 (on a display that went up to 1024x768), it flashed bright white, and started exhibiting a clicking sound. It could be fixed though (some fuses needed replacement).

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

LCD's are not affected, but CRT's are anytime you push it's bandwidth. The higher switching frequencies involved put very high stresses on capacitors which are the first to go, show signs of stress like whining, distort the image oddly, etc.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

VJ, my 17" does not show this behaviour, although I must admit I never tried that insanely high a resolution. Maybe yours is one of the last ones that did not have sufficient self-protection.

Whatever: LCDs have nothing to fear.

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Thanks all, glad to hear it was a myth. Based off of this thread it sounds like this is totally a fabricated 'problem'.

So before this thread have any of you heard of this before?
                  Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Nope...

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

Not with LCD displays.
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                        I don't entirely agree... I can address my 17" CRT at 1800x1600 ...
                        (I should mention that this CRT is a top range Philips from 6-8 years or so ago, it has a recommended resolution of 1280x1024 and a max. specified resolution of 1600x1200).
                        I don't think a 6-8 y/o monitor is all that modern.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                          I don't think a 6-8 y/o monitor is all that modern.

I meant that while it has protection against incorrect pixelclocks, it still allows some incorrect resolutions...

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

Working...
                          X