laptop time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop time

want a laptop thats good enough for some serious gaming but not a tank like the dell 9100 series. anybody have any thoughts in the $1500 max range? it will actually be carried on the plane, etc. so portability is important to.

looking at dell 5160 and 600m so far...
    P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Hypersonic-pc.com

They have beautiful and powerful laptops at really good prices, better than Dell at least. They pretty much all have ATi's Mobility Radeon 9700 128mb (and evena 256mb one) or 9600 Pro 128mb. They All use at least PC2700 ram, most have PC3200 ram and have either P4's Extreme, Centrino's or Athlon 64.

I want a laptop from them so badly!!!
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Re: laptop time

Originally posted by gangster

looking at dell 5160 and 600m so far...
      I have a 600M, but I only have a 9000 Mobitily in it. What are they offering in it now?
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Re: Re: laptop time

Originally posted by GT98
        I have a 600M, but I only have a 9000 Mobitily in it. What are they offering in it now?
        Same.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Re: Re: laptop time

Originally posted by GT98
          same
          P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Comment

A poweful, portable laptop made by the ODM Compal called the Compal 56 seems to be very popular right now. Zokespro mentioned Hypersonic, and I think they call it the Aviator CX5, but I believe it's really the Compal 56. Anyway, several custom PC places carry this model. Am I allowed to post which places carry it? (I'll have to re-read the rules. )

There are some interesting, pretty thorough reviews of the Compal 56 at notebookforums.com.

Other folks seem hot on Sager's new portable offering, the 3790 (made by Clevo).

Based on reviews, there seem to be powerful yet portable options from Asus as well.

I'd like to get my hands on a Compal 56 with a Dothan 1.7 or 1.8 just to try it out.

My personal experience with laptops is limited to Thinkpads, NECs (no longer marketed in US, except for tablets), Compaqs and HPs. The HP I'm using right now -- zx5000 -- is very good once you remove unnecessary software and optimize it for speed. It's not really all that portable, though, and it could use a better video card.

-- Jerry
            Last edited by JerryMouse; 9 September 2004, 16:01.

Comment

If it's good enough for some serious gaming, it's going to be a tank.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                If it's good enough for some serious gaming, it's going to be a tank.
                thats what i'm finding, have lowered by gaming requirements as a result. i'd sure like to have the Mobility 9600 or 9700 video.

Comment

here i am so far after 1 days work:

i won't be buying this but it seems a good value with a little extra ram:

Comment

Sorry, I got the Sager Centrino model number wrong in my earlier post.

Anyway, since it looks like we can post the names of resellers, I recommend you check out the Compal 56 (has ATI Mobility 9700) at PowerNotebooks.com or DiscountLaptops.com. It's also available from GamePC and other places but at higher prices. The Compal 56 is supposed to be very good for gaming. Again, I recommend you read the enthusiastic user reviews for it at http://www.notebookforums.com

As for the Sager 3790, I believe that's also available at the above resellers. You can also try PugetSystems.com -- excellent customer service and high-quality components. I don't think the Sager 3790 is listed yet on their website, but just send them an e-mail. They'll bend over backwards to get you what you want at reasonable prices.

-- Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by JerryMouse
                      Sorry, I got the Sager Centrino model number wrong in my earlier post.

Anyway, since it looks like we can post the names of resellers, I recommend you check out the Compal 56 (has ATI Mobility 9700) at PowerNotebooks.com or DiscountLaptops.com. It's also available from GamePC and other places but at higher prices. The Compal 56 is supposed to be very good for gaming. Again, I recommend you read the enthusiastic user reviews for it at http://www.notebookforums.com

As for the Sager 3790, I believe that's also available at the above resellers. You can also try PugetSystems.com -- excellent customer service and high-quality components. I don't think the Sager 3790 is listed yet on their website, but just send them an e-mail. They'll bend over backwards to get you what you want at reasonable prices.

-- Jerry
                      thanks very much! i appreciate all the help.

Comment

Jammrock
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

@Zokes: Those Hypersonic-pc's look amazing! I wish I had the spare cash now!
                          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Gangster,
                            By the way, if you browse PowerNotebooks.com, they call the Compal 56 the PowerPro M 5:6; DiscountLaptops.com calls theirs the ChemBook 2056.

Fortunately, both resellers above refer to their Sagers as Sagers. (Some resellers don't tell you that their laptops are actually Sagers (or Compals or whatever), but Sagers are pretty distinctive, and you can tell when you see one. I tried out a 5690 once, and it's definitely an excellent gaming laptop, but it's hefty.)

Good luck!
                            -- Jerry

Comment

thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              X